Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I know the SC Justices are appointed for life, but are there never any circumstances that are questionable?? Or are they always "right." Maybe a legal scholar can enlighten me, cause on the surface it sure does not sound "fair." confused

TIS

What is right? What is just? What is moral? Per the Constitution, the SCOTUS may hear appeals from lower courts. They render decisions by majority vote. A 5-4 vote is just as valid as a 9-0 vote. They render decisions based on their interpretation of the Constitution. Whether they are right or not cannot be determined. But their decisions do become law. That's what we are left with.

I suppose what's right or wrong or moral would depend on the case they have at hand. They could all think differently. Like you say they are suppose to interpret. confused How do you not mesh your personal views in your "interpretation?"

I get that their decision is final and that they interpret the constitution, BUT they also are human and depending on the individual case, what would stop a SC Judge (on either side) from being biased. I have a problem believing they are infallible.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/08/11 10:59 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon