Originally Posted By: MrAdams
I always found it intresting when I read a book a while back about Chicago and Sam Giancana how they didnt (at the time) have any type of ceremony or structure there. Giancana apparently said something like "you just knew who was in charge and who was in" and they didnt need to make a big thing of it. If memory serves they also had a lot of dealings with the African American's to do with the number games.

Yeah, for a long time the Outfit seemed to have forgone the traditional making ceremony. However, as I mentioned above, that apparently changed at least by the 1970's. Outfit turncoat Nick Calabrese talked about when he got made. And his brother, Frank Calabrese, was caught on tape talking about burning the saint card, etc.

As for the numbers racket, the Outfit - under Giancana - saw how much money potential there was and quickly moved to take them over in the black areas in the 1940's. Some black operators, such as Teddy Roe, put up a pretty good fight. But they didn't have the resources to stand up to the mob at that time.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.