Originally Posted By: ciccogol
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Originally Posted By: ovation32
In the Bronx, Arthur Avenue is still overwhelmingly Italian.

In Brooklyn, Bensonhurst is still Italian and Carroll Gardens is also overwhelmingly Italian with a heavy mob influence (Frank "Punchy" Illiano and Albert "Kid Blast" Gallo seem to run the neighborhood like a fiefdom for the Genovese Family).

In Staten Island, Todt Hill is a residential community where many Italian-Americans and mobsters have historically lived.

In Queens, Whitestone (specifically Malba) is heavily Italian.

I live in the Bronx, and Arthur Ave is not "overwhelmingly" Italian, there are tons of Mexicans/ some blacks and college students who have moved into the area. There are still Italian restaurants there though... I was there a few months ago.

Don't want to bother you, but you don't get the chance to ask someone who actually lives in New York too often. I mean, are there are actually still significantly Italian neighbourhoods in the city? Do Italians still live in the same area together and is the culture still alive at all?

Honestly, the Italian culture is alive and well in many places in the city but there aren't any real significant italian neighborhoods like the old days today. I am not saying there aren't Italians living around NYC cause there are, but those traditional Italian neighborhoods mentioned have had different influxes of groups in the past 20 yrs of so everyone from Asian, Hispanic, and Blacks. Every year less and less Italian, there are a number of Italians I saw on City Island when I last visited. NYC does have TONS of Italian restaurants (not necessarily run by Italians all the time which is sad I think.)

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.