Originally Posted By: Partagas
I encourage everyone to scrutinize every dollar you donate (and then, of course, give lots!)

Ask questions!!!!
1. What is the mission of the organization?
2. How will my dollar be spent?
3. How much does the organization spend on A) Mission or Program related costs B) Fundraising Costs and C) Administrative Costs
4. Ask to see the organization’s Annual report.
6. Ask to see their Form 990 – the form that all non-profits are required to complete for the IRS. This form has the above mentioned figured clearly identified.

If the organization cannot answer these questions, or at the very least guide you to someone that can – don’t give them a dime!

Partagas, I remember you and I having this exact conversation through a PM several years ago, when seeking your advice, after I was asked to serve on a committee to raise money for several charitable organizations. It was sound advice then and is sound advice now.

People give from the heart, and to me that is what counts. To care about another human being in need, to have compassion for those who may be less fortunate than we are, is a beautiful thing. There is nothing wrong with giving from your heart and at the same time using your head when you do.

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I find black-and-white (dinner-time friendly, because it eradicates the flesh tones, just like Men's Health is heterosexual friendly for doing the same) slow-motion montages with noble voice-overs pleading to 'give just £3 a month' (though it was £2 last year) to help save the very child who's looking at the violently exploitative camera a bit nauseating really.

The overriding principle of the charity sector - given academic weight by the growing field of 'International Development' and related fields - is to endorse philanthrocapitalism.

It's a crock, frankly.

So basically you do not agree with people making charitable contributions to help others who are in need of food, shelter, education or medical attention?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.