I can't believe that I'm hearing "It's just a word." It's NOT just a word. Every word has a deeper meaning and a history, and words should always be chosen carefully, not because of censorship, but to express oneself with true distinction and clarity.

The "N Word" reflects a history of fear, of anger, hate and subjugation. It reflects a time when people were considered property, to be bought and sold and used, and considered no more than livestock. It reflects a time when a people were considered lesser than, when they were denied the essential rights of freedom and education and free expression that were guaranteed to OTHER Americans. It reflects a time when people put their lives on the line to eradicate the usage of that word, and to bring those essential freedoms to those denied them.

Perhaps it's the fact that some haven't lived through those times. Perhaps it's pure flippancy. Perhaps it's racism. But a casual attitude towards it, the desire to bandy it about as if it were meaningless, is something I find appalling.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club