Originally Posted By: Fame
...I ask the question: should the word die? if people will not use it, it will die eventually...

HOWEVER - it is not going to die anytime soon.

I agree w/ both. I think black leaders have been trying to discourage its use even in friendly terms but something so accepted in everyday language takes at least a generation, sometimes even longer to completely drop away from common use. Its presence in music & movies like 'Pulp Fiction', etc will keep it going even after it's not used as much in everyday conversation.

...So my second question is: is there anything wrong about using this word in such manner? would you say that afro-americans are hurting themselves by keeping this word alive?

What about white guys using it, and not in offensive manner, but in the same way black guys are using it? ... And declaring that whites are not allowed to use it -- is that in itself a racist declaration?

There is no way a white person can use that word in conversation and have it not be offensive. There seems to be an unwritten rule, or code that (probably because of its origins), whites just can't say it.

And it's not that they're not allowed to use it, they would just be in a heap of trouble if they did.

...My third question is therefore: can white people use it with their afro-american friends, or would you say that it's best if whites will not use it at all?

Hard to say, there are some relationships that are so strong they can endure anything. However, a white person would have to be really, really REALLY good friends with a black person and the two (or more) know each other extremeely well, for the word to be able to be used comfortably and unoffensively.

... fourth and final question -- is there anything wrong about using this word in current/future literature?

Again, I refer to 'Pulp Fiction' and the like. Quentin Tarrantino seemed to have no problem inserting it and let's face it the film is a classic. That's just an example since I've seen it. Am sure there are more. So in the right context why shouldn't it be used in writing, fiction or non-fiction?

... finally, should writers refrain from using all sorts of "bad words" - should certain words be banned, or is there total freedom in writing?

Freedom in writing, freedom of expression. However...a writer of ANYTHING should be prepared to backup, defend, and accept any fallout, good or bad, as a result of what he or she chooses to write. Regardless of content, because such reaction as long as it doesn't result in physical harm...is ALSO freedom of expression.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON