Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I prefer to give my time rather than write a check.

Cheapskate tongue

You discovered my secret. blush

I worked for a non-profit for years, and I know firsthand that their employees sacrifice long hours for little pay, usually because they believe in the cause. And I am also well aware of the many "non-profits" that are the sort you and Turnbull describe. They spend a disproportionate amount of money on themselves (offices, salaries, fundraisers) than on programs and services. It's a disgrace.

The other thing that's frustrating is the duplication of efforts. Google "Cancer Organizations" and you'll be amazed at how many there are. Here is a database of "many, but not all" such organizations. Cancer Organizations And they're all incredibly competitive over dollars.

I volunteered for many years for the local United Way chapter. They act as an umbrella for several charities, and give out money and goods (toys, clothing and so on) through an application process to their member organizations. I was shocked to find out how difficult it was for the United Way to get applications by the deadline. They had to nag and browbeat these non-profits to submit their applications. How ridiculous is that??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club