Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

August 2002 -
In the 1980s, the Chicago mob had roughly 200 "made" members, each of whom ran his own various illegal businesses. Today, according to the FBI, the mob is down to about 50 made members.
http://www.ipsn.org/characters/new_outfit.htm

May 2005 -
The FBI estimates that Chicago now only has 25 "made" members and another 75 organized crime associates. Federal authorities said that 15 years ago the mob had 50 "made" members and as many as 400 associates.
http://www.labor-unions.net/newspapers/chicago_tribune/crackdown_just_latest_hit_on_mob.htm

Those are two pretty conflicting reports. They went from 50 made guys to suddenly 25 in less than three years?

And they had only 50 made guys in 1990? Maybe "active" members, otherwise forget about it. I'm pretty conservative myself, by I have an FBI chart of the Outfit in 1983 which lists about 175 made members.

I'm getting the impression that the FBI are playing with these numbers.

Indeed there has been quite a range in the estimates over the past 10 or 15 years. It can be a little confusing when an FBI source in one article will cite 25 members. And another will cite 50 members. The Outfit's membership doesn't seem to be as well covered as the New York families or some others. A few more estimates would include the Chicago Crime Commission, which estimated about 70 members back in 1997. Around 1999 or so, the FBI actually released a list of 47 names to the press that were said to be made Outfit members. And as I have already pointed out, Outfit turncoat Nick Calabrese reportedly identified about 60 made members earlier this decade.

So how do we interpret all this? First, like with estimates of other families, I don't focus too much on any one figure. Rather, I look at them collectively over a given time span and tend to go with the average. Looking at the estimate range over the past decade, one could say the average is about 50. Second, I consider the ongoing mob activity in Chicago, as well as in relation to the estimates and activity of families in other cities.

The Outfit is still recognized as a formally structured, viable organization by law enforcement and there have been more than enough cases over the past decade to show this is the case. There have been at least as much, if not more, mob activity in Chicago as in New England or New Jersey or Philadelphia. And those families still have about 50 members each. So that leads me to believe the current Outfit is probably closer to 50-60 members than 25-30. Heck, what's left of the mob in Detroit still has about 25 members and it has nowhere near the mob activity in Chicago.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 01/21/11 09:49 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.