Originally Posted By: GerryLang
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Originally Posted By: GerryLang
The murders in this indictment are pretty old. Joseph Scopo was killed by John Pappa. The murders they are pinning on Vernace are ancient, I thought those charges were dropped a few years ago, I don't think he was the shooter either. The other murder of the guy was in the trial of Ronnie "one arm" Trucchio, so I guess they are trying to charge his son with that murder too. The FEDS like to pin one murder on many different guys, even if they didn't directly take part in it. These indictments always look strong when they first come out, but seem to fizzle out by the time they get to trial, will see how this plays out. The fact that they are trying to tie old murders into the case makes me wonder how strong it is, but jurors these days believe anything the Government says for some reason.

Yeah I wonder what role they are going to charge Russo for the Scopo murder...

I don't get it. With all the trials and infomrants over the years dealing with the Colombo war you would think the Scopo murder would have been put to rest. The Colombo's are either very disfunctional, or the FBI has a hot for them, because they are always getting hit with cases. I think it is a little of both, they might still hold a grudge over the Scarpa/Lin Delvecchio fiasco.

I thought the double murder Vernace is charged with was settled a few years ago. The supposed shooter was picked up in the mid 2000's after living on the run for over 20 years. Then I thought they dropped the case because it was so long ago, witnesses died, evidence was lost, etc.

Exactly what I am thinking, also its the Colombos! The most dysfunctional of all the five families and probably the easiest to score a major bust. To the Feds credit, with one big swipe they took down the entire administration of the Colombos along with some 4 Captains and 8 Soldiers. Thats a huge blow considering the Colombos still havent really recovered from the takedowns /informants from recent years.

Besides Stephen Depiro (Tino Fiumara's right hand man, Tino would have been taken down if he was still alive probably) being taken down, what other Genovese and what Lucchese members were taken down? It looks like both families escape relatively untouched and continue to build and get stronger in the shadows while the other families grab the headlines..

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.