Hmm. I would have to read the book to know whether McGill's POV on that makes sense or not. People always adapt art to their own time and sensibilities. I would tend to think that the emptiness of Lou Ford is part of the whole point. Ford has no interest in the world he lives in short of seeking to fulfill his own "sick" "evil" needs. That's it. He can put on emotions the way other people put on clothes but they're never part of him.

I found the film similar to Devil's Rejects but different in that the director did not try to manipulate the audience into having any sympathy for the protagonists. There was another movie like that which comes to mind "Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer" which was also pretty empty at the core. I thought that was deliberate as well.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.