Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Originally Posted By: Lilo
The Killer Inside Me

This is based on a Jim Thompson novel (aside- which I couldn't find at my local Borders mad and then they wonder why more people are just ordering books online) and is set in early fifties Texas. It was directed by Michael Winterbottom.
I thought it was a pretty repugnant artistically.

I wrote a review on my film blog.

Here are few paragraphs from that post:

The Killer Inside Me has been described as a “character study”, as can often be fashionable with films and stories of this type. Beware: it's fast becoming – if it wasn't already – an industry shorthand for broody, introspective non-commitment.

Writing for Film4, Catherine Bray notes, “Lou is a polite, rather dull man, leading a highly conventional life, and if it weren't for that fact that he commits some atrocious crimes, there would be very little point in making a film about him. If we accept this, then his violence is what legitimises him as a subject.”

This, apparently, is what might have drawn Winterbottom to the character. But Bray is right to go on: “Violence being the thrust of the film, what does The Killer Inside Me have to say about violence? Not as much as you might hope, is the answer.” The film is vacant of any moral or personal complexity. Its despairing tone is a result more of its sheer, stubborn hopelessness than its atmospheric rendering of a period Texas. A Kiss Me Deadly-style conclusion lends the work absurdity, but not a jot of seriousness.

That's why I wanted to read the book to see if the Kiss Me Deadly motif was really in the original story. What's your take on films like "Irreversible", "The Devil's Rejects", etc that seemingly lack a moral center?

Would you agree that part of the whole point of film noir is to have a certain level of hopelessness and ambiguous moral view?

Does a lack of moral complexity always harm a film in your view?
I love Irreversible.

From my understanding, Thompson's novel is very much from the point of view of its protagonist, to the point where certain elements, even the violence, is presented in a biased, distorted fashion. That's completely lost in the film; Winterbottom's artistic immaturity can't take the film beyond flat.

I'm not sure if a lack of moral complexity necessarily always harms a film for me. I like serious films - that place themselves in the real world - to be complex insofar that life is complex.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?