Catholic Teachings and Homosexuality

http://www.rcpolitics.org.uk/teachings/homosexuality.htm

Homosexuality
A distinction must be made between tendency and act. Having a tendency or predisposition to behave in a certain way does not justify giving expression to it. For example, anger: I am not entitled to vent my anger as and when I please simply because I have that tendency. The same principle applies to homosexual sex.

Homosexual sex can never be procreative. Sex which divorces the loving, affirmative aspect from the procreative aspect converts such intercourse into an end in itself. In this respect, the Church does not apply different standards to single people of either sexual orientation: The natural context
for sex is within marriage, always open to new life.

One can love another person of the same sex very deeply without having sex; in fact, there are many ways of expressing one's love that do not involve sex at all. Celibacy, for instance, calls both homosexuals and heterosexuals to a life of chastity. Not having sex does not lead to an inferior quality of life.

One of the characteristics of the emergence of 'gay culture' has been the encouragement of the high level of promiscuity which, for various reasons, is a feature of male homosexuality the world over. Long-term, stable and single partner homosexual partnerships, although they do exist, are comparatively rare: 74% of male homosexuals reported having more than 100 partners during their lifetime, 65% reported having sex only once with more than half their partners, 28% reported having more than 1000 partners, 10% of homosexuals and 28% of lesbians claim to be quasi married.(cf Bell & Weinberg, Homosexualities: A Study of Diversity among Men and Women, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1978: 308, 346)

In Denmark a form of homosexual marriage has been legalised since 1989. By 1995, fewer than 5% of Danish homosexuals had married and 28% of these ³marriages² had already ended in ³divorce² or death (Wockner; Advocate; 726 4 Feb. 1997: 26)

Human beings are not defined by their sexual orientation. Homosexual people, as human beings, have the same rights as others - including that of not being treated in a manner which offends their personal dignity.

The Church is compassionate to people with this tendency and recognises the considerable numbers who struggle to come to terms with it. She seeks to bring the person to a greater fulfilment and healing, and a more profound understanding of the self. ³Homosexual activity prevents one's own fulfilment and happiness by acting contrary to the creative wisdom of God. The Church, in rejecting erroneous opinions regarding homosexuality, does not limit but rather defends personal freedom and dignity realistically and authentically understood.² (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons, 1986)

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...