Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Clinton made tax/budget deals with the GOP in the 1990s, what exactly is wrong here with this particular deal?

The issue is that what the President seems to consider reasonable compromise many people (and not just the left) see as capitulation or cowardice. He gives away the store before negotiations even start then gives more and calls that sharp trading. I would never want him advising me when I'm trying to buy a new car. It's not just the latest deal but a list of past compromises which his base swallowed hard and accepted. But this one may go too far.

After an announced deal when one side is wailing and moaning and the other side is doing the Electric Slide in the end zone perhaps your slick dealing could stand a little greasing...

Then he has the unmitigated gall to put some bass in his voice when he's lecturing his supporters? Inconceivable.

Most, not all but most of the things in this proposed deal are things that the right wanted, not the left. And the deal does nothing for the 99ers or any future 99ers. It cuts the payroll tax which funds Social Security and will make it more difficult to protect it from those on the Right who want to "save" it. Is it possible that many on the left are whiny delusional dummies? Well yes. whistle

But on the other hand some things are worth a fight...

Does this man have real balls the Don asked.. Finally Hagen translated the question properly. Did { The President} have the balls to risk everything, to run the chance of losing all on a matter of principle, on a matter of honor... Hagen smiled..."You're asking if he is a Sicilian".. The Don nodded pleasantly, acknowledging the flattering witticism and its truth. "No", Hagen said.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.