Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

The same could be said about Scarfo. Once he became the boss, he technically had the right to demand tribute and obedience from guys like Riccobene and others who balked at following the new leadership. Especially since Scarfo was backed as boss by New York.

I agree but to a lesser extent.From my understanding Riccobene was always more of an independent guy,he didn't really work together with the rest of the family even under Bruno.Where as the Jersey Crew I imagine were trading on the Lucchese family name.

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Of course one could argue that, practically speaking, guys like Scarfo and Casso went about it too heavy-handed. They were too quick to kill and didn't really care how many bodies piled up. That doesn't exactly help with loyalty in the ranks.

Agreed.
But it's a double-edged sword.Casso demands more money,Accetturo tells him to go fuck himself,Casso sits still and takes it.How does that look?Makes Casso look weak,the Bronx faction starts getting ideas...

From my understanding,even though Casso was greatly respected for his earning potential,he wasn't really liked except by guys in his own inner circle because he made alot of enemies getting to the top.What was his saving grace was that basically 95 percent of the wiseguys across the five families were petrified of him.Especially after he got the two cops and the FBI guy on his payrol,no one knew the extent of his power,he was like a real life Keyser Soze.

The book "The Brotherhoods" which deals extensively with Casso and Al D'Arco in that documentary pretty much imply that when Gravano had bad dreams,they were of Casso :D,and Gravano was very high-up.

So I guess he had to keep the ball rolling...