So much for the cakewalk. This is why Stern wasn't that worried. It's a long season and Miami may not be the world beaters that some thought. The article mentions Kurt Rambis. Does anyone remember the clothesline that McHale gave Rambis..

Udonis is upset

MIAMI -- Emotionally shaken and unable to eat or sleep the night after his team was bullied and battered at home by the Utah Jazz, Udonis Haslem barged into Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra's office before Wednesday's practice with a strong suggestion.

No, make that a demand.

"He had some things to say to the guys," Spoelstra said of Haslem, the Heat's co-captain, emotional leader and resident enforcer. "We have to hold each other accountable to the standard of how we want to play, and that wasn't it."

Spoelstra was referring to the Heat's lackluster effort in blowing a 22-point lead in Tuesday's 116-114 overtime loss to the Jazz. It was a setback that brought out national critics and raised questions in some circles on everything from Spoelstra's ability to lead to the Heat's focus, commitment and toughness.

Of all the things that got under Haslem's skin -- issues that left him tossing and turning in his bed after the loss -- it's the growing perception that Miami is soft and lacks toughness that ticks him off most. Those are the not-so-endearing labels the Heat carry into Thursday as they look to avenge the season-opening loss to Boston when the teams meet at American Airlines Arena.

"Yeah, that bothers me," Haslem said of the stinging disappointment that drove him into Spoelstra's office. "I wanted to know what I could do to help bring that edge back. That's the question. It wasn't about pointing fingers at anybody. But I wanted [Spoelstra] to criticize me, and tell me what I can do as the captain. Part of my fabric is to bring that defensive intensity, that toughness. And it hasn't been quite where I want it to be, or where it should be. Sometimes we have it and sometimes we don't."

But neither the players nor the coaches could flat-out deny that the description sort of fits, especially with the much-hyped Heat sitting at a near-mediocre 5-3, with only one of those victories against a team with a winning record. In each of the losses, there was a moment when Miami was smacked in the mouth. And each time the Heat were hit, they buckled, stumbled and ultimately tapped out.

What followed Haslem's meeting with Spoelstra was a plea for each player to "find something to get [ticked] off about" every time they step on the court from now on. No more laid-back, nonchalant attitudes. No more deferring. No more excuses. No more talk about how chemistry will come in 20 or so games. Instead, there should be an expectation for urgency. Not later. Now.

Toughness and tenacity typically haven't been optional accessories for teams molded by Pat Riley. They've been as mandatory as marathon practice sessions and blood stains on team workout gear. Those Showtime Lakers in the 1980s didn't back down from scrums. Kurt Rambis and Michael Cooper wouldn't allow it. And Riley's New York Knicks of the 1990s operated on hard fouls and an opponent's healthy fear of driving the lane. Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason were linebackers masquerading as forwards. And even Riley's early Heat teams were anchored by Alonzo Mourning's intimidating defensive presence and Tim Hardaway's mental toughness.

But this current Heat team is clearly built on talent. Toughness might be an acquired taste. The Heat never had a bigger collection of stars than they have now with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. The question amid this early adversity is whether this star-studded team will develop a sting.

"You have to anticipate that teams are going to be physical with us -- are going to try to make the game ugly," Bosh said. "We have to be ready for that. Sometimes you get hard fouls. I'm not saying play dirty and get flagrant fouls and lose your money. But you can foul hard. You can have a no-layup mentality sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. We can look for more opportunities to get that done."

James said opponents have been intent on roughing up the Heat in recent games. Some of the evidence has been obvious. During Miami's 96-93 loss at New Orleans on Friday, James drove for a dunk late in the second quarter. After the play, point guard Chris Paul pointed at his forearm and shouted for reserve center Jason Smith to aggressively foul James the next time he swooped in to attempt a dunk.

"Teams are being a little chippy with us," James said. "We have to see how the game is being played and maybe do the same. We know what our identity is. Mentally prepared is how we are."

In the Heat's next game at home a night later, New Jersey Nets coach Avery Johnson chastised his team during timeouts for being too soft on the Heat. Later in the game, forward Terrence Williams was assessed a flagrant foul when he hip-checked James four rows into the stands on a fast-break attempt....

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.