Oh absolutely. It's all about knowledge and greed. If you're a good earner, you will be "asked" to contribute more. It's a bit of pain but then again your bosses have another reason to want to keep you around. If you're a less than adept moneymaker you will contribute less but if your bosses ever need to make an example of someone (and not lose very much money in the process) your name will likely be high on the list.

I don't know the amounts off the top of my head but in both Philadelphia and NY/NJ, capos Harry Riccobene and Anthony Accetturo had what they considered reasonable long standing tribute amounts under their respective leadership. When the leadership changed and greedier or less trusting bosses took over the amount of tribute required went dramatically upwards and strife arose.

Some bosses/captains are greedier than others; some are smarter than others. Nobody ever volunteers everything they do-particularly if they are insanely criminally entrepreneurial people like Michael Franzese. Like all such mob stories who knows how true it is but in Franzese's book Quitting the Mob he tells of getting in serious trouble with his bosses when turncoat Iorizzo stated that the Franzese operation was much much bigger than the bosses had been given to believe. The bosses supposedly tried to use Franzese's father's words against Michael in order to trip him up.

Most of the books I've read state that everyone steals; they are after all criminals. In the book Double Cross, mob chieftain Giancana is quoted (paraphrase) as saying "Give me a man who steals a little and I'll make a million". You can get away with fudging numbers here or there as long as you are still kicking lots of money upstairs. But if your boss just doesn't like you or you are poor mouthing him while driving around in a new BMW.... whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.