Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Is anyone following that story about the 33 miners trapped in a mine in Chile? These poor guys have been trapped for over two months. eek At first they were saying it would be Dec. before they could rescue them now it looks like it'll be in the next few days. Can you imagine?

The latest thing I heard on the news last night was that the rescue shaft still has around 250 feet to go before it reaches the miners. But it was also said that this shaft may have to be reinforced and lined before they can risk bringing anyone out - this would probably add another week to ten days before the shaft is ready. I'm also thinking about the two (?) miners that were supposed to be too overweight to fit in the rescue shaft. I'm not sure what the plan is regarding those men - unless they were (no joke) trying to lose some weight during the time they've been stuck underground.

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Are your areas bombarded with election ads in your areas??? rolleyes At first I didn't think it was bad at all, but the past week, OMG! Every other commercial is a political ad.

It's getting pretty cut throat. LOL A few days ago, Meg Whitman (R) was accused of hiring an illegal as a housekeeper and Brown (D) naturally jumped all over it. Now today I'm hearing the audio tape of a conversation between Brown and an aid in which the aid refers to Whitman as a whore. eek

Politics...what a dirty game. rolleyes

Yep, here in the New York area we're deluged with the same crap. Every time I turn on the TV I see ads for the McMahon/Blumenthal senatorial race in Connecticut highlighting the lie Blumenthal told about serving in the Vietnam War. I actually think Linda McMahon, despite her background in the front office of the WWE, has a real chance of winning this one. Hell, Jesse Ventura got elected governor of Minnesota; California has "The Governator."

But the real mudslinging is here in NY with the Cuomo/Paladino gubernatorial campaign. Paladino's mouth is doing a fine job of digging his political grave for him - this is certainly one of the dirtiest campaigns I've seen in these parts in years.

And yes...It gets really tiring after only a very short while.

The primary elections held last month were particularly annoying: For weeks, every day I would find my mailbox stuffed with flyers from the candidates who were running for minor public offices - but one jerk in particular (I think he was running for Attorney General) kept the junk mail coming on - literally - a daily basis. I finally said to myself that for that reason alone this pest would not get my vote. If I had a birdcage, I would have lined it with his circulars... mad

Still, I never quite escape the feeling that we end up voting for the lesser of two weasels.

Candidate at recent Town Hall meeting

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."