Please read this thread from start to finish, and then reply if you give a damn: (and welcome to all the oldtimers who got my PM - but please save us the "Yooohoo I'm back" and read this thread and respond to it, if you still want to enjoy this place)

It's no secret this forum is dying. I've always been on and off and haven't posted much lately, but for years it was always a place full of life and activity to come back to. When JG said a couple months ago that he'll be here to see this forum's funeral, he wasn't joking. And I'm posting this thread because I want to stop it from happening. And I need your help.

We're almost in October, and the last 10 threads on this section's first page are from August (in other sections they even go back to June or May). Yeah there will always be a few guys around to say something in the weather or "random post" threads, and always a couple of threads in the GF section, and a couple of news related threads....but overall this isn't even fifth of what used to be around here. And it will only be less and less from now on....unless we stop it.

I know that with a monster like Facebook, message boards are not what they used to be, but we still got enough people visiting this place everyday. And Facebook is hardly the place for great thread-discussions. It's more about posting a funny status, or uploading pics or commenting on such pics for most people. So this place is still worth saving.

The solution is simple: we need to talk. We need new threads. It is a must. We can't go on and on with just "random obama", "random postin", "news from the neck" and "how's the weather" threads. And EVERYONE needs to post new threads. If we sit around waiting for someone else to start discussions, then nothing will change. There will be less and less threads, and as a result less and less members wishing to even bother and visit this place, because there's nothing new to look at.

All I'm saying is let's try and kick some life. Let's take action. I ask each and every one of us to try and post 2 new threads every week. 1 in "general discussion" and 1 in another section of your choosing.

There's plenty to talk about, almost anything you want, especially in this section when anything goes. You don't have to write a term paper assignment to start a discussion, just talk about something you like or that interests you and ask the others about it. Trust me, the most interesting discussions often come out of the most basic topics. You just got to open the gate and all the goods will flow in.

I'm not saying to start a thread just to say : "I like Disney World, let's talk about Disney World" but instead try and give more details, ask others, try and make it interesting, which rides you liked the most, what you didn't like, compare it to Disneyland if you've been there as well, etc. All I'm saying is pick a topic and go from there. Let's make it 2 threads per person each week, and see if my plan is working.

The real problem around here, is that we don't even bother to post new threads, except for news items, when someone decides to copy and paste a story from yahoo or msn and we take it from there. It's better than nothing, but it's not enough.
The movie "Avatar" came out a few months ago. It's already part of cinema history whether you liked it or not, and despite the fact that most members here are lovers of cinema, noone started a thread to discuss this movie, and I think it deserves its own thread. And what about the NBA finals? Lakers vs. Celtics, no less. And yet not a single thread, despite the fact that 5 or 6 guys I know around here would've posted in such thread for sure, if only someone started it. And it's my fault too, for being so lazy.

And now, for those of you who think I'm crossing the lines, and that my choice of action is wrong, then let me tell you that the alternative of keeping things the way they are is much worse. I'm not worried about future useless threads, because I know that most members here have great minds, and they only need the opportunity to show it. And even if there will be a few useless threads here and there (alongside the good ones), then it's still better than the current situation.

And there will be no police. I'm not gonna chase after people saying stuff like "hey you didn't post your threads this week" (tho it might be fun) but no, you don't do this for me, you do this for you and everyone else, so just post new threads and play along with my plan, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the result.

That's my offer. I've responded to old PM's I sent a while ago to bring back the oldtimers, and I gave them a link to this thread, because I want them to read this as well.

Anyone here wishing to join my plan and (try to) post a couple of threads every week? please post to say if you're in. Add your name to this list (again, no police or anything; it's totally up to you if you post or not, but please add your name to encourage the other members to try it out. Here's the list thus far:

Fame

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)