Thank you, Captain Literal. The point is that he was taxed at six times the average and he wasn't receiving six times the services. It was an example so portray how a small percentage of the population pays the vast majority of the federal income taxes.

And, by the way, chances are that the higher income earners within a municipality pay more property taxes, as they probably own a property assessed at a higher value. Still, the fire department arrives at the same speed to the $200,000 house as it does to the $800,000 house in the same municipality. Actually, it probably comes faster to the lower value house, as a higher priced home is probably located further from the noisy firehouse.

Edit: Here's the exact quote, by the way, if anyone's interested:

I left Gage Whitney making $400,000 a year, which means I paid 27 times the national average in income tax. I paid my fair share, and the fair share of 26 other people. And I’m happy to, ‘cause that’s the only way it’s gonna work. And it’s in my best interest that everybody be able to go to schools and drive on roads. But I don’t get 27 votes on Election Day. The fire department doesn’t come to my house 27 times faster and the water doesn’t come out of my faucet 27 times hotter. The top one percent of wage earners in this country pay for 22 percent of this country. Let’s not call them names while they’re doing it, is all I’m saying.

Last edited by Sicilian Babe; 09/08/10 03:47 PM.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club