GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (dsd), 280 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,483
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,440
Posts1,061,010
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: Lilo] #580579
09/07/10 07:46 PM
09/07/10 07:46 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
Ok, this bugged me so I ran a check and "if" this is to be believed, here is Lennon's will. From what I understand it's leaving Ono as executor and the one in charge. It mentions children from the marriage only and I think it's leaving it up to Yoko.

It also has a paragraph toward the end saying, in short, anyone contesting the will will receive nothing. No mention of Sean. confused Now, in fairness, Ono could have given him "his" share, I don't know. Maybe she did.

Still, this is kind of morbid being able to look someone's will up on-line. Shame on me. ohwell

TIS

Lennon's Will

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: Lilo] #580581
09/07/10 08:02 PM
09/07/10 08:02 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Yeah a lot of people that were up in arms about rap lost some of their fear/anger when Eminem hit it big. I still can't believe that a musician who rapped non-ironically IIRC about raping his mother , doing likewise to his wife and then killing her was referenced approving by supposedly feminist columnists in the NYT. Go figure....

One must remember that before Eminem, there were no respected white hip-hop MCs unless you were the Beastie Boys. The ghosts of Vanilla Ice and future Oscar-nominee Marky Mark haunted any cracker who hoped to kick ass and chew bubblegum in the rap world.

Which is why I argue that Eminem being white didn't help his career as much as many believe. In the early 2000s what he offered was a nice breath of fresh creative air in a rap landscape dominated by way too many creatively-lazy rappers bragging about their mansions and their number of bitches and how many suckahs they wasted last night.

Mr. Mathers offered humor, offered self-commentary with not so high self-esteem attributes (like suffering from ED), offered sadist controversial imagery like the infamous "Stan" and "Kim" and even though this ties nothing directly to the music's supposed quality,, his music videos were usually must see.

God knows he had to deliver something to everybody (including the all-time best selling rap single "Lose Yourself") which to make people wait 5 years for RELAPSE.

Anyway RR, are you certain about Wings being the most successful 70's rock band in terms of record sales? I would have thought that distinction belonged to Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or The Eagles?

They are from what I understand. And looking back at their chart sales, they were crazy big. Hell at one point they even had the most successful released single ("Mull of Kintrye") in UK history. Ironically that song flopped in America.

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #580733
09/09/10 04:08 PM
09/09/10 04:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Yoko still lives in the Dakota Building apartment, which overlooks Strawberry Fields.

I knew she was still in NYC, but really didn't know she was still at the Dakota. Mick, I assume you saw the Dakota/Strawberry Fields when you visited??

smile
TIS
Yeah, this is the pic I took of the Dakota Building as we passed it:

Second storey up (as we look at it), from the first brown shutters to the far right, is Yoko's apartment.

During the same trip I also visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame NYC Annex, which was quite an experience; I recommend it to anyone in the region with an interest in modern commercial music. It contained an exhibition of Yoko Ono called 'John Lennon: The NYC Years', which was unsurprisingly pretentious, self-loving, arrogant and banal.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #580758
09/10/10 10:42 AM
09/10/10 10:42 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Anyway RR, are you certain about Wings being the most successful 70's rock band in terms of record sales? I would have thought that distinction belonged to Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or The Eagles?

They are from what I understand. And looking back at their chart sales, they were crazy big. Hell at one point they even had the most successful released single ("Mull of Kintrye") in UK history. Ironically that song flopped in America.

Hmm. They were big but as I thought it looks like other folks were a bit bigger. ohwell
Top 100 Albums

Best Selling music artists

Best Selling albums in the US

I forgot about Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers and Boston.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: Lilo] #580827
09/11/10 07:52 PM
09/11/10 07:52 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Hmm. They were big but as I thought it looks like other folks were a bit bigger. ohwell
Top 100 Albums

Best Selling music artists

Best Selling albums in the US

I forgot about Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers and Boston.

Makes sense.

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #580840
09/12/10 04:38 AM
09/12/10 04:38 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I think The Wings were the 2nd most successful singles act in the uk after status quo in the 70's..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: DE NIRO] #580874
09/12/10 10:50 PM
09/12/10 10:50 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I think The Wings were the 2nd most successful singles act in the uk after status quo in the 70's..

Now I've read somewhere (hopefully accurate this time) which claims McCartney/Wings was #2 most successful in 1970s U.S. charts according to Billboard. #1 was Elton John (or Bee Gees, those hacks.)

Maybe I should shut up now. Cue Geoff smartass remark.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 09/12/10 10:51 PM.
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #581237
09/18/10 02:01 AM
09/18/10 02:01 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Of the top selling acts of the 70s, I always had thought that ABBA had outsold those mentioned.

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: klydon1] #581239
09/18/10 03:17 AM
09/18/10 03:17 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Abba have sold more since the 70's but not in the 70's if that makes sense..

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: DE NIRO] #581281
09/18/10 07:53 PM
09/18/10 07:53 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Abba have sold more since the 70's but not in the 70's if that makes sense..

In fact they weren't that big in America at least until some compilation records in the 1990s went platinum. So thus we can blame that for MAMMA MIA.

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #584514
10/29/10 05:58 PM
10/29/10 05:58 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Nowhere Boy is finally playing around here and I hope to see it next week cool

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: J Geoff] #592647
01/29/11 08:23 PM
01/29/11 08:23 PM
California

California
I finally got to see Nowhere Boy. smile In a nutshell:

I really didn't know much about Lennon's young personal life except that his aunt raised him, so everything I learned was new to me. smile

With a free-spirited and neglectful mother and an unknown father, John lived with his somewhat strict aunt Mimi ( in between going to live with his mother and then basically getting kicked out and went back with his aunt). As the movie progresses you get a better sense of John, Aunt Mimi and John's mother. It's the final scenes when family secrets are revealed and marks another turning point for John.

Although we do see a young John and his interest in music and we see Paul & George as part of "The Quarrymen", the movie focuses mostly on John facing his demons and making adjustments in his life from a young boy. One can not help but feel sorry for him after hearing his story.

The movie was not without good ol' 50's rock & roll though. Starting from the beginning scenes with "Mr. Sandman", Shake Rattle & Roll, Be-Bop-A-lu-la and add a little Buddy Holly and some Elvis footage and the era is tied together. Not only that, you get the British version of the 50's. smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/30/11 12:48 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #592799
02/01/11 12:42 AM
02/01/11 12:42 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I haven't seen the film, but would love to. Lennon was a man of extraordinary talent and vision with a complex personality. As a very young boy he was forced to make a decision literally at a seaport, whether to go with his father to New Zealand or live with his mother in Liverpool. He chose to go with his dad, but when he saw his mother crying, he ran off to her at the last moment. Of course, he ended up with his aunt. But I wonder how history would have been altered if he had gone to New Zealand.

If I could witness one event from the beginnings of the band it would be the moment McCartney introduced Lennon to George Harrison. Lennon had doubts about having a kid so young play guitar in his band until Harrison played a little for him (on a bus, I believe), and completely blew him away.

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #592845
02/01/11 02:26 PM
02/01/11 02:26 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I finally got to see Nowhere Boy. smile In a nutshell:

I really didn't know much about Lennon's young personal life except that his aunt raised him, so everything I learned was new to me. smile

With a free-spirited and neglectful mother and an unknown father, John lived with his somewhat strict aunt Mimi ( in between going to live with his mother and then basically getting kicked out and went back with his aunt). As the movie progresses you get a better sense of John, Aunt Mimi and John's mother. It's the final scenes when family secrets are revealed and marks another turning point for John.

Although we do see a young John and his interest in music and we see Paul & George as part of "The Quarrymen", the movie focuses mostly on John facing his demons and making adjustments in his life from a young boy. One can not help but feel sorry for him after hearing his story.

The movie was not without good ol' 50's rock & roll though. Starting from the beginning scenes with "Mr. Sandman", Shake Rattle & Roll, Be-Bop-A-lu-la and add a little Buddy Holly and some Elvis footage and the era is tied together. Not only that, you get the British version of the 50's. smile

TIS

TIS

If you want to learn about Lennon's next chapter in his life then you should see Backbeat which focuses on his time in Hamburg and his relationship with Stuart Sutcliffe..
Backbeat

Re: Nowhere Boy - John Lennon [Re: DE NIRO] #592926
02/02/11 12:09 PM
02/02/11 12:09 PM
California

California
Thanks DeNiro! smile Although I heard of "Backbeat, I have not seen it. I will try to check it out.

TIS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull