Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: olivant
However, since then he has failed to move from campaign mode to governing mode which takes quite another type of compromise and coalition.

Yes, that's it exactly. Obama ran a brilliant campaign by using a great gift of oratory. He was, is, a great orator. But oratory is one-way, communication is two-way, and involves listening. Communication is what made FDR and Reagan among the most effective of modern presidents. Oratory belongs to 19th century politics.

Obama delivered great oratory in defending the Constitutional right of Muslims to build a mosque anywhere, just as other Americans build their houses of worship. If he had been listening to the sensitivities of others, he might have communicated his defense of religious freedom in a way that did not offend opponents of the mosque--and that didn't force him to backtrack (again), opening himself and his party yet again to a GOP assault.

I hope you don't mind me moving this post to this thread, TB. You originally posted it in the "Dubya" thread. I just thought it would get more views over here. Needless to say, I think you have brilliantly summed up Obama's Presidency so far.

If he can just get out of "campaign mode," and toughen up a little, there's till time for him to turn this whole thing around and win that second term!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.