Originally Posted By: olivant
Madonne! How daft can you be? The President of the United States has no Constitutional authority to raise any revenue, let alone federal taxes. Only the US Congress can do so.
You speak of the US congress as if it somehow operates in a vacuum from the executive branch. The US congress is the only body with the authority to assign appropriations through statute, but does that preclude President Obama OR Bush's responsibility for the increased spending during their respective terms? Of course not, you're simply playing contrarian.

capital gains taxes have not increased. They are the same as they were in 2003 and as extended through 2010 by the Tax Reconciliation Act of 2006.
Yes, they're the same from the Bush years but they will increase soon enough after 2010, won't they. Along with everything else that small business owners are being burdoned with (i.e universal health care).

By the way, how in the world do you think that tax cuts or increases are implemented? Try by adjusting tax tables. Still, it takes Congressional legislation to enable. Thus, H.R. 1: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 did that.

I never said otherwise, but promising to give 'tax cuts' and instead opting for '$13 a week' are two entirely different things. Who's going to benefit from $13 a week tax break? Not the rich.

Trying reading more instead of emoting.

I have real life business experience and with comes real life emotions when I know we're being duped by a President who who's more worried about his legacy as 'great social reformer' than in achieving honest, REAL economic growth.

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 08/21/10 04:24 PM.