GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 300 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,437
Posts1,060,986
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Geary at the first communion party [Re: Lilo] #577571
07/17/10 03:43 AM
07/17/10 03:43 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Mark asserts...
Quote:
but nowadays every politician knows that having your name linked to any facet of organized crime is political and personal suicide...just ask the former mayors of Cicero & Rosemont, Illinois.

When you say the "former mayor of Cicero" presumably you're referring to the "Maltese Falcon." To say she was linked to (some) facet of organized crime would be an understatement. "Married to the Mob" might have been more accurate. I'm not sure whether she understood exactly what would be expected of her when she was appointed Town President, or if she was an unwitting patsy, sucked-in and stuck once she accepted the job. Since her release from prison, she's been presented with a number of life-changing career opportunities including hostess at a (highly recommended) neighborhood pizza joint and in automotive sales.

As for the former mayor of Rosemont, there's only one of those. And he's dead. But the cause of death was neither political nor personal suicide. It was mostly old age. And he might have been the original "Teflon Don" when it came to allegations of being mobbed-up. Following its incorporation as a municipality in 1956, he was the Village of Rosemont's first and only mayor for FIFTY years. Whatever associations he was alleged to have with organized crime over his FIFTY years as the mayor didn't seem to affect his political career. Moreover, there's a fair body of evidence that he did more to actually rid the village of organized crime influences.

Here's another great post from the Illinois Police and Sheriff's News web site that addresses that very issue.

Or perhaps it could be viewed like the Illinois Tollway system under control of a Republican Governor vs. a Democratic Governor. We simply traded one form of graft and corruption (the patronage tollway worker) for another (the construction contracts for "open road tolling.")

tony b.

Long live the memory of Dave and Harry's Maroon Raccoon, Fools Rush Inn, and the Caravelle Motel...

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Geary at the first communion party [Re: YoTonyB] #577629
07/18/10 10:04 AM
07/18/10 10:04 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
TonyB, I recall something about Rosemont continually being denied gaming licenses by the state because of the mayor's alleged ties to organized crime? Hey, I could be wrong...apologies to Rosemont's "his honor" if I am. As far as Betty goes, "Married to the Mob" is indeed a more accurate description! To say that she raped Cicero's coffers is an understatement. Hoever, she is getting offers & opportunities left and right these days. I am told that she will probably end up with a Chicago radio show soon. Stay tuned! Thanks for the info, TonyB!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull