I have to say that most of my life, I never bothered with exercise. I would join a gym, go for a few weeks, and never bother again. After surgery on each knee for arthritis and a weight gain of 25 lbs. after I quit smoking, I started riding a recumbent bike. I eventually got up to about 30 miles a week. I've now moved on to an elliptical. I found myself feeling much better about myself and everything else.

After my blood clots, I wasn't allowed to exercise. I was amazed at how easily I put 8 of those pounds I lost back on. I couldn't wait to get medical clearance again. I'm never going to be a tri-athlete, but I am happy with what I do. I find that I have more energy and I sleep better, too!

TB is absolutely right, though. You have to find what works for you and STICK WITH IT. It's a habit, like anything else. A gym membership didn't work for me. I like the convenience of having the machine at home. I plug in a DVD of a favorite TV show (the perfect 40 minutes) and I find that the time just flies. That's also why I like both the bike and the elliptical - they're quiet and I can watch TV while I work out, which is a great distraction for me. Lots of people tell me they need to leave their houses to work out, or they get distracted by laundry or paying the bills. To each his own, but once you find what works, don't give up.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club