This is one of the local sports columnists. He is not as sentimental as Albom nor is he as reflexively negative and bitter as Drew Sharp. His journey to better health is an inspiration to everyone-especially those who have or are at risk for lifestyle type diseases. There's a lot that's not under our control in life but there is so much more that is...

A trip to the gym is the best medicine

TERRY FOSTER

It was a year ago that I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and on Thursday I will mark the occasion with my annual checkup with my doctor Lisa Elconin.

I expect good news again. I have kept my A1C levels below diabetic levels for every checkup since I was diagnosed. And I do not expect the news to be any different. I have not been perfect as an eater, but I've been much better the past year than at any time in my life.

What I have done is worked my butt off in the gym at the Life Time Fitness in Commerce Township and with my trainer Melissa Borden. I am not on any medication. My medication is exercise.

The way I approach things is every trip to the gym is like taking a shot of insulin. It controls the blood sugar, keeps the body moving and makes you feel stronger and provides better endurance.

I began this blog and column to encourage men to get annual checkups. Now it has turned into a way to help people get in better shape.

If you go into the checkup with bad eating habits and poor workout routines, you know the news with the doctor will be bad. But you still need to hear the bad news and begin to deal with it.

In the past year I've dropped 35 pounds, reduced my blood pressure 30 points and shrunk my tummy and built muscle in my arms, legs and shoulders. I look different and feel different.

"Anyone can see that we've reduced your body fat and you've gained lean muscle," Borden said recently. "You are fit and athletic now. You're healthier and your diabetes is in check, which is huge. But honestly your attitude toward a healthier lifestyle and exercise has changed so much that I don't worry as much any more if you're eating right or exercising on your off days. You see the importance and not only do you walk the walk and talk the talk, but you have influenced others, which to me is so important."

You can do this, too.

I do not have the perfect body. But looking at yourself in the mirror is sort of like a report card. If you look and feel better, chances are you will get a good report from the doctor.

But my mission is much larger. I want to help people. Michigan has been ranked the 10th fattest state in the country. We need to work harder to make this a healthier place to live. Since I began this blog, I've been contacted by health experts across the country who want to help educate the public. Some of the professional athletes I cover have wanted to help, also.

That is encouraging, and I know many of you will work harder to shed pounds and make better lifestyle choices.

It is never too late to join our charge. You can read my triumphs and losses on the health and fitness blog at detnews.com. We remain in this together and I want us to continue our journey for many years to come.

You can reach Terry Foster at Terry.Foster@detnews.com">Terry.Foster@detnews.com or (313) 222-1494. You can follow him on facebook.com or twitter.com/TerryFoster971.
Additional Facts
Terry's health journey

On Jan. 1, Detroit News sports columnist Terry Foster gave up fried foods, alcohol, desserts and regular sodas for 40 days to see what it's like to stay away from vices and make a difference. Then he turned to exercise for 40 days. Foster then moved on to healthy grilling. Now, he has turned his attention to a lifetime of fitness. Want to catch up on the journey? Read his regular blog posts at detnews.com/healthfitnessblog.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.