Originally Posted By: Lilo
(Reuters) - A university can legally deny recognition to a Christian student group that bars gays and nonbelievers, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday in a case that pitted anti-discrimination principles against religious freedom.

Such official recognition qualifies campus groups for funding and other benefits.

By a 5-4 vote, the justices upheld a U.S. appeals court ruling in favor of the University of California's Hastings College of the Law. It denied recognition to the group because of a school policy that membership should be open to all.

The high court's ruling was a defeat for the Christian Legal Society. It argued the U.S. Constitution does not allow a school to deny recognition to a religious student group which insists its members agree with its core views.

Regarding these two Supreme Court rulings today, it is really exciting for a political science instructor such as myself. I'll post more on these rulings later, but for now suffice it to say that it creates quite a conundrum for Strict Constructionsists and other fans of judicial restraint. You have the same members of the same Court ruling with identical 5-4 votes what conservatives would consider on one hand on the basis of "original intent" (guns) while on the other hand engaging in judicial activisim (religion). It's interesting if not downright exciting.

Last edited by olivant; 06/28/10 04:31 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."