Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Come on, guys. How about a little bit of respect for the defending champs?

(...)

Italy tend to do badly when expected to win – 1990, on home soil, for instance – and astound everyone when they're written off as rubbish. This year it's looking good – media experts are talking about the players being over the hill, Serie A being way past its prime, the strangulating tactics and why Marcello Lippi should be a club manager. It's the sort of thing people were saying in 2006. Italy will certainly find a way to make almost every game a struggle – New Zealand's physicality and speed is a worry – but our strengths are scrappiness and flexibility. I think we'll make the final. Really.

I like your analysis; that's exactly how it works with Italy. they'll make a struggle out of every game, be it against Brazil or Tanzania or New Zealand. after two rounds it will look like they may be out but they'll find a way to advance and then they can go anywhere from best to bust.

there's a likely matchup against Spain in the quarterfinals and if Italy gets past that they'll have built enough drama and strenght to become a real threat. anyway, I dare to say that I don't believe in this team at all and don't see them advancing past the quarterfinals, which is widely accepted as a reasonable outcome, which means that Italy might win it all tongue

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Least-liked opponents: Brazil. Yes, they have great players, yes, their coach is excellent, but I swear I will barf next time I hear "jogo bonito".

in the meaning that Brazil plays beutifully? when?? we have great players but many many of them are on vacation right now; it's funny how we brazilians are spoiled brats and complain about our national team when the whole world dreams of having half of our players, and this time even our stubborn head coach is regarded as "excellent". the truth is Brazil has a solid, winning team but this time our game relies on speedy counter-attack, not "jogo bonito".

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk