Come on, guys. How about a little bit of respect for the defending champs?

From guardian.co.uk

Italy World Cup 2010 fan's preview: Final, here we come.

The Italian member of our World Cup fans' network says Italy will retain the World Cup and England will lose to USA

Italy's Fabio Cannavaro takes a breather during a friendly against Mexico in Brussels. Photograph: Francois Walschaerts/Associated Press

Italy tend to do badly when expected to win – 1990, on home soil, for instance – and astound everyone when they're written off as rubbish. This year it's looking good – media experts are talking about the players being over the hill, Serie A being way past its prime, the strangulating tactics and why Marcello Lippi should be a club manager. It's the sort of thing people were saying in 2006. Italy will certainly find a way to make almost every game a struggle – New Zealand's physicality and speed is a worry – but our strengths are scrappiness and flexibility. I think we'll make the final. Really.

Men to watch: Daniele De Rossi is the star: tough, slick and he's a leader. Watch out for Totò Di Natale, Giampaolo Pazzini and Angelo Palombo.

Weakest link: Fabio Cannavaro is making me nervous. I wonder about Rino Gattuso and Gianluca Zambrotta too.

The coach: What José Mourinho was loudly to Inter, Lippi is quietly to the Azzurri: he is the star. He gets players to play for each other, and tactically he is quite a chameleon, adjusting his formation to stiletto opponents' weakest areas. He's the man.

Best chant: The immortal lyrics from White Stripe's "Seven Nation Army": "Oooh, oh oh oh oh oooh, oooh".

Least-liked opponents: Brazil. Yes, they have great players, yes, their coach is excellent, but I swear I will barf next time I hear "jogo bonito".

TIPS
Winner
: Italy will have the edge over Spain.

Golden boot: Antonio Di Natale (Italy).

England: They will struggle to pass the group stage, losing to a highly underrated USA side. Their goalkeeping is terrible and their mentality is still suspect. Sorry.

Follow George Ferzoco at boubsterama.wordpress.com

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.