Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Also, what's wrong with praying? Pray hard enough and live a good enough virtuous life, your existence will be extended.

That remark reminds me of the story about the man and the flood. He was warned that the river in his town was flooding due to heavy rains, and he had to evacuate. He ignored the radio report and said, "I'm a religious man. I pray. God loves me, and He will save me."

Sure enough, the river rises. A man in a rowboat calls to the religious man, "Let me row you to safety!" The man refuses, saying, "I'm a religious man. I have served God. He loves me, and He will save me."

The river rises to the top of his house. The man sits on his roof. A helicopter comes by to evacuate the man, but he still refuses to leave his home. "God loves me and he will save me."

The man drowns. When he gets to heaven, he demands an audience with God. He says, "God, I served you. I was a religious man. I prayed. Why didn't you save me?"

And God says, "I sent you a radio report, a man in a rowboat and a helicopter. What are you doing here?"

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club