Originally Posted By: olivant
Those emotions are understandable by most Board members.
I'd be very shocked if they weren't understandable to (understood by?) everyone here.

I already said "that sort of sensitivity to something as horrific as 9/11 isn't illogical". But this sensitivity shouldn't become irrational over-sensitivity manifested by unwarranted anger, hatred, intolerance and even fear of Islam.

The issue here seems to be that as long as we allow to build a mosque at the site of what was the World Trade Center - as long as we accept or embrace the Muslim community by accepting or embracing the building of this mosque - there is the possibility of fundamentalist, extremist or radicalist Muslims carrying out a terrorist attack at the site of what was the World Trade Center. It's the old argument of "as long as there is religion in any form, intolerant radicalism can and will foster".

If that's not the issue plain and simple, then I'm all ears.

And I don't disagree with the notion that "as long as there is religion in any form, intolerant radicalism can and will foster." But if I want to eradicate society's needs to believe in a superstition, I know that refusing to build a mosque is not going to do it. But that's another issue entirely...

Finally, building or not building this mosque is not going to stop, dilute or fuel another terrorist attack in the US. If the contrary to that was ever implied in this thread, you live in a smaller physical and mental bubble than I thought.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?