Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
What is Peyser's real agenda here?

A) She's a strong, educated, intelligent woman.

B) She's Jewish.

C) She lives in New York City.

In short, she's everything the extremists hate.

I don't think she has an agenda, Lilo. I just think it hits her closer to home than it hits some other people.

Originally Posted By: Lilo
A few years back there was a similar brouhaha in Hamtramck- a traditionally predominantly Polish-Catholic enclave outside Detroit that has seen an influx of South Asians and Arabs over the past few decades. Initially a few hard words were said on both sides but rough compromises were reached and life goes on...

Are you seriously comparing a "brouhaha in Hamtramck" to the events of 9/11 in New York City? Because life didn't "go on" for 3,000 plus New Yorkers on that awful Tuesday morning. They weren't given the choice of a "rough compromise."

No. Not at all,PB. The comparison is between people in a Hamtramck neighborhood that didn't want a mosque in their area and people in a Brooklyn neighborhood that don't want a mosque in their area. In both cases people's fears and concerns will need to be addressed but I don't think we can compromise on the rights of American citizens to live and worship where they please as long as they obey the law like anyone else.

Reading Peyser's column I don't get the feeling that there's anywhere that she would say it's okay to build a mosque. I grew up around mosques, churches and a few temples-they're always in residential areas. When she refers to a Brooklyn area as "a mini-Gaza Strip", it strikes me as needlessly inflammatory.

Last edited by Lilo; 05/20/10 07:51 PM.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.