Originally Posted By: VitoC
Michael explains that he wants Pentangeli to make a deal with the Rosatos as a means of deceiving Hyman Roth. Mike realizes that it was Roth who tried to kill him, but he doesn't want Roth to know that. He explains to Pentangeli that if Roth sees that Michael persuaded him (Pentangeli) to make a deal with the Rosatos, Roth would believe he still had a good relationship with Michael. This would make it easier for Michael to find out who betrayed him (it turned out to be Fredo, of course).

No doubt Michael wanted to know who the traitor was, but what I don't understand is that all of these troubles were between the Corleone family. Michael, being the uber-controller, has no problems telling Frank to run his family "like a Corleone" but then he tells Frank he has to meet with his own underlings and settle a dispute?? It doesn't make sense. Hyman Roth was not in the family. And I still don't see how the Rosatos bros. were in the Corleone family, yet "backed" by Roth.
What exactly did that mean? Were there real life situations that emulated that type of mob family relationship?
I understand Mike wanted to fool Hyman. But, at the same token, I don't feel it would have postponed any type of business dealings between Michael and Hyman overall.

"Now, that plane goes to Miami."
"That's right. That's where I want it met."