Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
So I think that NY and Chicago were roughly equivalent in terms of authority. I certainly don't see Aiuppa or Accardo "answering" to NY.

I agree, Lilo. But let's keep things in the perspective of the original question: Which Family is currently the strongest? On that basis, I don't think that Chicago matches up to the strongest (namely the Genovese family) of the New York families anymore.

But again, you're right, Aiuppa and Accardo didn't take shit from anyone. For that matter, neither did Giancana.

You see, this is part of the problem when people talk about the modern day Chicago mob. Inevitably, many of them start talking about Accardo and Aiuppa and other things or people that no longer apply. Last time I checked, they were both dead. But it's indicative of the fact that many people's view of the Outfit is outdated. The topic might be the Chicago mob of today but they are still looking at things how they were 30 or 40 years ago. Likewise, they start talking about how this city or that city answers to the Outfit. Families west of Chicago did at one time but there are really none left today to do so. There is no traditionally structured, viable family left in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, etc. If people want to talk about the modern day Outfit, they have to look at the modern day - i.e. within the last decade or so.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.