Originally Posted By: GaryH
I do remember Lefty saying that "Milwaukee answers to Chicago" when he was speaking of Frank Balisteri

Lefty continued the sentence by saying "......and Chicago answers to New York

Memory can be deceiving. lol I think we are both right and both wrong..

The quote about "Chicago being responsible to New York" was actually not from Lefty but from his capo Mike Sabella in the context of the arbitration of the aborted business deal between Conte and Frankie Bals.

Bals was not allowed by Chicago to enter into independent agreements with supposed NY mobsters. The evident compromise worked out between NY and Chicago would have been that since Frankie Bals agreed to the deal , if Conte had been a real mobster he would have been allowed to operate his business in Milwaukee but without any hindrance from the Milwaukee mobsters.

Given that Chicago nixed the deal it would seem to indicate that the Outfit remained independent.

Lefty also said that Kansas City, Cleveland and Detroit belonged to Frank. When Lefty was speaking of the Milwaukee Mob he said they were crazy and couldn't be controlled by NY or anyone else, only Chicago.

So I think that NY and Chicago were roughly equivalent in terms of authority. I certainly don't see Aiuppa or Accardo "answering" to NY.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.