We all know that Jack Nicholson's character in Martin Scorsese's "The Departed" shares his name with real life mobster Frank Costello, "The Prime Minister of the Underworld"; but those who know about the real Costello also know that the carachter and the real life mafioso don't have anything else in common.

Scorsese's Frank Costello seems to have been inspired by FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitive List's member James J. "Whitey" Bulger, the head of Boston's irish mob during the 1970's and 80's; not a straight up copy - actually, Scorsese seems to have flipped personalities - Bulger is known to be a sofisticated guy who loves reading, loves animals and considers those who drink heavily to be mentally weak, while "The Departed"'s Costello is a vulgar street guy, involved with hookers and posibly drugs and booze.

But the most important thing about the fictional Frank Costello is that he runs the Irish Mob in Boston via his status as an FBI Informant, double crossing agents and his associates as well and being able to keep his own illegal enterprises with the blessing of an FBI agent, just like "Whitey" Bulger.

I know "The Departed" is a remake from a Hong Kong film (or whatever the fuck) but I guess Scorsese fine tuned the plot, the characters and the locatiosns for his own purposes and it seems to me that his Frank Costello was inpired by James "Whitey" Bulger, what you think? I wonder why couldn't he just come up with another name; although sounding very italian, Costello is indeed an irish name but it brings up a lot of stuff since it's the same name of a famous old time gangster.

Last edited by Tony Mosrite; 03/20/10 07:21 PM. Reason: mispelled the word "carachter" a few times :p

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk