Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: olivant
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - In a landmark ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down laws that banned corporations from using their own money to support or oppose candidates for public office.

By 5-4 vote, the court overturned federal laws, in effect for decades, that prevented corporations from using their profits to buy political campaign ads. The decision, which almost certainly will also allow labor unions to participate more freely in campaigns, threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

It leaves in place a ban prohibiting corporations and unions from directly contributing funds to candidates for any use.

I saw that. I didn't have time yesterday to look into the reasoning in detail but it sounds to me like a very bad decision.

Here's a reaction

The Problem isn't the law but the Court

I'm not sure if there is any legislative fix to this the way there was to Ledbetter. It doesn't sound like it. So either people will need to change the Constitution or change the Court. Of course there is nothing that says that society couldn't increase taxes on corporations or require equal access to media during elections for everyone-imperfect solutions though. Ultimately this all goes back to decisions granting corporations "personhood" imo.

This is how I understand this. Anyone weigh in if I'm wrong. confused

Right now there are limits on how much a corporation can contribute to any one political party. This "reversal" will allow all major corporations to pay millions/billions to whomever they want to support politically correct? Most of big business are usually "Republican" right? So you get a candidate who has nowhere near that kind of money, the other side will obviously get way more exposure giving that candidate a real edge. So any "little" guy (so to speak) won't stand a chance. The election can be bought?????? eek

Also, this law has been in affect for years and years and was voted for change with a strictly partisan vote from a Supreme Court where the majority are Righties.

Weigh in and enlighten me. Tell me how it's fair. Oh, and DT or Kly, if you know, are there any legal options for those who oppose? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon