Originally Posted By: olivant
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - In a landmark ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down laws that banned corporations from using their own money to support or oppose candidates for public office.

By 5-4 vote, the court overturned federal laws, in effect for decades, that prevented corporations from using their profits to buy political campaign ads. The decision, which almost certainly will also allow labor unions to participate more freely in campaigns, threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

It leaves in place a ban prohibiting corporations and unions from directly contributing funds to candidates for any use.

I saw that. I didn't have time yesterday to look into the reasoning in detail but it sounds to me like a very bad decision.

Here's a reaction

The Problem isn't the law but the Court

I'm not sure if there is any legislative fix to this the way there was to Ledbetter. It doesn't sound like it. So either people will need to change the Constitution or change the Court. Of course there is nothing that says that society couldn't increase taxes on corporations or require equal access to media during elections for everyone-imperfect solutions though. Ultimately this all goes back to decisions granting corporations "personhood" imo.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.