There are two perspectives from which we debate this issue both of which have been expressed on this Board: emotional or practical, and Constitutional. PB and SB ask why anyone wants or needs an automatic weapon. Good question. Mig asks why should anyone have to explain why they want one. Good question too. Having fired an automatic weapon counteless times I can understand how some people might get a thrill from it. On the other hand, I also understand how dangerous they can be even in the right hands. I think it's reasonable for we citizens to have our state and federal governments constrain their availability and use. As I've stated above, I don't think the framers and ratifiers of the 2nd amendment would countenance the unabridged keeping and bearing of arms of any type. As PB has pointed out, it was a different world back then and the individuals who occupied it back then did not have the firepower available to them to wreak havoc upon their world with a firearm as they do have today. We must take that into account.

Last edited by olivant; 01/09/10 12:52 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."