You cannot legally obtain an automatic weapon without going through a number of additional processes. I don't think that any domestic automatic weapon made after 1986 can be legally owned by a private citizen.

Description of process here

http://iawca.org/automatic-weapons-faq

The readily available "assault weapons" are all semi-automatic. I'm no gun guru but it's my understanding that conversion to automatic is not only illegal but impractical and beyond most people's skill-it's a completely different mechanism and design.

Anyway here is a picture of a rifle that depending on the trimmings added on to it was legal or illegal under the AWB.

Mini-14: Legal/Illegal

The thing is that all of the features that made the banned list were cosmetic ones which made little difference to the function of the rifle and were easily avoided by manufacturers.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.