GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 303 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,964
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 95 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 94 95
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #564334
01/08/10 02:56 PM
01/08/10 02:56 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
So, not meant necessarily for anyone to post their wages, BUT am I'm the ONLY one who makes no where near that amount here???? eek I find that hard to believe. And, unless I'm not totally understanding these figures, it does make me somewhat defensive because I just don't think the average "Joe" falls into that category.

As tight as things were for me at one time, I never was considered poverty level. I raised two kids by myself,in a decent area, paid a mortgage (never was late for any payments) and never had any kind of assistance. AND, I live in California to boot, which is not an inexpensive state. All this on much much less than 88K.

Of course, when the housing market boomed a couple years ago, if I just was starting out, I probably wouldn't ever be able to afford a house had I not already had one that I could sell and make a decent profit.

I guess, in my view, I can't feel too sorry for anyone making 88K. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #564347
01/08/10 03:54 PM
01/08/10 03:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The formal federal poverty level is $22K for a four person family. If you earn that amount or less then the federal government will "officially" count you as poor and there are certain federal or state programs for which you are eligible.

Of course it's a sliding scale and the family of four that earns $30K may not officially be poor according to the federal gov't but they will still barely be making ends meet and so will have partial or total eligibility for certain programs.

As you state there are plenty of people that earn less than $88K and who are not poor. This is why $88K is 400% of poverty level and is where the Senate/House bills would phase out assistance. It's how they got the cost numbers for the bill to work.

However I would venture to guess that a family of four that brought in $88K (whether it be two people earning $44K or one person making the $88K and the other staying home) would not have the funds to make a required and unsubsidized purchase of health insurance at $15K/year. The number of people that fall into this category may be small -most folks are employed and get insurance through their employer- but it would be a hardship.

The other thing is that the buying power of $88K in 2010 is not the same as the buying power of $88K in 2000 and so on backwards. 10 years ago I thought that if I could just make $X/amount I'd be on easy street. Well I make that now and on easy street I'm not... whistle

Last edited by Lilo; 01/08/10 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #564349
01/08/10 04:00 PM
01/08/10 04:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Also keep in mind that the guidelines are for household income and that different states and different agencies use before tax income while others use after-tax income.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #564351
01/08/10 04:02 PM
01/08/10 04:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The December unemployment rate held at 10%, but the underemployed rate jumped to over 17% and the labor force shrank by over 600k meaning that many people have given up looking for work.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #564362
01/08/10 04:20 PM
01/08/10 04:20 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant
The December unemployment rate held at 10%, but the underemployed rate jumped to over 17% and the labor force shrank by over 600k meaning that many people have given up looking for work.

Yikes.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #564363
01/08/10 04:24 PM
01/08/10 04:24 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Yikes.

Yeah, I just saw that. It's getting scary now.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #564381
01/08/10 06:20 PM
01/08/10 06:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Yes, the housing is cheaper, but dinner and drinks at a nice restaurant on Worth Avenue will run you the same amount of money as dinner and drinks at just about anywhere in Manhattan.

And what does Florida Power and Light charge in comparison to Con Edison? What about real estate taxes? What does it cost to insure a car in Florida vs. New York? Yes, there are certain things that are going to cost the same no matter where you live, but if the overall cost of living is less, then you can afford to have a nice dinner out once in a while.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #564419
01/09/10 07:29 AM
01/09/10 07:29 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: pizzaboy

Or he would be on vacation.

What do you mean? He chose to be on vacation when a terrorist boards on a plane?

Antwort auf:

Never will be forgotten Obama's trip to Cairo last year to address the Muslim world, when he said that he believes it is "part of my responsibility as president of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear."

Forget for a moment that such folly appears nowhere in the American president's job description.

Why is it not his responsibility to fight these kinds of negative stereotypes? After all, there are 1.5 million citizens of Muslim faith in the US. And of course, one of the responsibilities of every head of the state in the world should be to lay the foundations for a peaceful future with any country. A pre-requisite for a successful fight against Islamist terrorism is that the Muslim world doesn't see the West (especially the US) as an enemy.

Last edited by Danito; 01/09/10 07:30 AM.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Danito] #564420
01/09/10 11:39 AM
01/09/10 11:39 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Danito

Or he would be on vacation.

What do you mean? He chose to be on vacation when a terrorist boards on a plane?

That's from a newspaper article, Danito. I posted the author's name and a link to the newspaper in the original post.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Sicilian Babe] #564421
01/09/10 11:42 AM
01/09/10 11:42 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Yes, the housing is cheaper, but dinner and drinks at a nice restaurant on Worth Avenue will run you the same amount of money as dinner and drinks at just about anywhere in Manhattan.

And what does Florida Power and Light charge in comparison to Con Edison? What about real estate taxes? What does it cost to insure a car in Florida vs. New York? Yes, there are certain things that are going to cost the same no matter where you live, but if the overall cost of living is less, then you can afford to have a nice dinner out once in a while.

Yeah, point taken, Babe. I would bunch up Florida Power and light and my real estate taxes with cost of housing, but I guess that cost of housing does equate to cost of living.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #564918
01/13/10 06:30 PM
01/13/10 06:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
A new sheaf of opinion polls show Americans sharply divided on President Barack Obama's first year in office, as his ratings on key issues like health care and the economy hit new lows.

Polling also suggests independent voters are turning away from Obama as he nears the anniversary of his January 20 inauguration -- though in a sign of hope for his administration, he remains more popular than his policies.

In a new Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday, US voters were split 45-45 on whether Obama's first year was a success or failure.

When voters were asked in a CNN/Opinion Research survey published on Tuesday to rate Obama's performance since taking office, 48 percent judged it a failure, and 47 percent saw a success.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #564991
01/14/10 12:56 PM
01/14/10 12:56 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
By ERICA WERNER and RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR,– 14 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The White House has reached a tentative agreement with union leaders to tax high-cost medical plans, one of the final obstacles in the way of President Barack Obama's health care remake, officials said Thursday.

Details of the agreement were not immediately available. The tentative deal was expected to be presented to congressional leaders Thursday as negotiators try to wrap up an agreement on core elements of the sweeping legislation as early as Friday.

The proposed tax has been a major sticking point because early versions from the Senate would have hit union members, who have negotiated generous health benefits, sacrificing higher wages. House Democrats were strongly opposed, and did not include the tax in their bill. But Obama favored the tax, citing the consensus opinion of economists that it would help hold down costs by nudging workers into less pricey coverage.

Union and Democratic officials spoke about the tentative deal on condition of anonymity because the talks were private.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #565042
01/14/10 09:27 PM
01/14/10 09:27 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
A new sheaf of opinion polls show Americans sharply divided on President Barack Obama's first year in office, as his ratings on key issues like health care and the economy hit new lows.

I think, every government tries to make the toughest and controversial choices within the first one or two years.
So probably most presidents lose in the opinion polls within their first year.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Danito] #565047
01/14/10 10:25 PM
01/14/10 10:25 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: Danito

I think, every government tries to make the toughest and controversial choices within the first one or two years.
So probably most presidents lose in the opinion polls within their first year.

The other Obama problem is that he is trying to do too much and sustaining wars (although anti-Taliban sentiment is high)is hurting him. With unemployment at 10%, bitterness over the bailouts and the Healthcare thing....well, the public is just not too confident in what O is doing.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: MaryCas] #565070
01/15/10 10:37 AM
01/15/10 10:37 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Next Tuesday is the special election for Senate in Massachusetts.
MSNBC is currently saying the race is a toss up. It would seem difficult to believe that Massachusetts could elect a Republican but if Brown beats Coakley and is certified and sworn in before the health care bill passes, he would be the vote the Republicans need to prevent it from passing in its current form.

A lot of if's....

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #565076
01/15/10 11:28 AM
01/15/10 11:28 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I have to say, as someone who was a Teamster for 25 years, and a two term Business Agent, I'm very happy about this. smile

Ya gotta organize, people!

Unions will dodge O's health tax

Big Labor got some big love from President Obama and congressional Democrats yesterday after they agreed to exempt union workers from the whopping “Cadillac tax” on high-cost health-care plans until 2018.

The sweetheart deal, hammered out behind closed doors, will save union employees at least $60 billion over the years involved, while others won't be as lucky -- they'll have to cough up almost $90 billion.

The 40 percent excise tax on what have come to be called "Cadillac" health-care plans would exempt collective-bargaining contracts covering government employees and other union members until Jan. 1, 2018.

In another major concession to labor, the value of dental and vision plans would be exempt from the tax even after the deal expires in eight years, negotiators said.

Under the plan to help fund health-care reform, the tax would kick in for plans valued at $8,900 or more for individuals and $24,000 or more for families.

That's slightly higher than the $8,500 and $23,000 thresholds in the bill passed by the Senate last month.

The threshold will be even higher for certain plans with many older workers and women -- a move to benefit unions with a high proportion of female membership, sources said.

New York labor leaders -- who had initially campaigned against the Cadillac tax, favoring instead a surcharge on the wealthy -- said they are thrilled.

"We can live with it. We have an agreement that nothing will be taxed until 2018," crowed George Boncoraglio, regional president of the Civil Service Employees Association.

Officials said the deal was thrashed out over more than 15 hours of negotiating at the White House that ended after midnight Wednesday.

Powerful unions were well-represented around the bargaining table.

Participants included AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka and Andy Stern, head of Service Employees International Union; Anna Burger, head of Change to Win; and the leaders of unions representing teachers, government workers, food and commercial workers, and electricians.

Stern has been among the most frequent visitors to the White House over the last year, showing up more than 20 times, according to logs.

Originally, the Cadillac tax included in the Senate bill was estimated to raise $149 billion through 2019.

But Trumka said the exemption would reduce that amount by $60 billion -- money that negotiators will now have to find elsewhere, or reduce the coverage in the legislation.

Boncoraglio said CSEA leaders were meeting in Albany -- preparing to wage a major offensive against the tax -- when their Washington lobbyist called and briefed them on the changes.

Obama backs the Cadillac excise tax, citing economists who say it would drive down costs by encouraging insurance companies to offer employers and workers a chance to buy lower-cost health plans to avoid the levy.

carl.campanile@nypost.com

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #565146
01/16/10 01:45 AM
01/16/10 01:45 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
This sounds fishy to me. Maybe it's because he will need their votes come November? Who will have to pay the tax now since the unions don't?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #565158
01/16/10 11:15 AM
01/16/10 11:15 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Next Tuesday is the special election for Senate in Massachusetts.
MSNBC is currently saying the race is a toss up. It would seem difficult to believe that Massachusetts could elect a Republican but if Brown beats Coakley and is certified and sworn in before the health care bill passes, he would be the vote the Republicans need to prevent it from passing in its current form.

A lot of if's....

If Coakley loses, the Dems would have to pass the Health Care bill either by the house accepting the senate version or before Coakley is certified and seated. If they do not get this done and Coakley loses, Obama may be in danger of being a one term president unless the GOP is dumb enough to nominate Palin.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: dontomasso] #565166
01/16/10 11:52 AM
01/16/10 11:52 AM
California

California
Yea, the news media is all over this story. I am hesitant to totally believe what the media is spinning though. Some polls, I understand, show Coakley ahead but others virtually a dead heat. Then again, two things that indicate trouble, Obama is going to go there to help out; and I'm guessing many of the Republicans, teapartiers, and wingnuts will be out in full force this time so they must be worried. ohwell

All that considered, I'm just not trusting the media that much, as they've been right leaning for quite some time now.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565167
01/16/10 11:55 AM
01/16/10 11:55 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well, if a Republican wins a special election in Massachusetts, less than a year after Ted Kennedy passed away, you might as well fold up the tent on the Dems ohwell.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565171
01/16/10 12:16 PM
01/16/10 12:16 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
All that considered, I'm just not trusting the media that much, as they've been right leaning for quite some time now.

Besides Fox News what news media are you talking about?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Mignon] #565172
01/16/10 12:22 PM
01/16/10 12:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Mignon
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Besides Fox News what news media are you talking about?

I actually have to agree with Mig on this, Tis. Except for Fox (who gets TONS of attention), the media is now, always has been, and always will be heavily liberal.

I think your misconception comes from the fact that Fox News is so adamant about their contempt for the liberal way of life, that they kind of drown out their lefty media counterparts (The Huffington Post, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, etc.).

As a whole, the left has more media outlets than the right.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #565174
01/16/10 01:26 PM
01/16/10 01:26 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
I would have to agree with PB on this.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Iceman] #565178
01/16/10 02:28 PM
01/16/10 02:28 PM
California

California
I'm talking main street media news, even the local news (which is less bias than the cable IMHO)tends to lean right. Fox, well that's not even really credible since ALL it's programming is right. MSN has it's lefties but not 24/7. They too jumped on the Tea Party stories (although granted not as much as Fox);They all thrive on some of the more ridiculous stories, sadly giving air time to the likes of Limbaugh & Beck as though they are the last word.

How many days news was the fact that our President won the Nobel Peace Prize given critical news by all? My God, you'd think it was such a horrible thing. ALL of networks aired all negative stories on this.

However, the "One" story that really really made me take notice was a few years ago (not sure of the year 05 or 06 maybe) there was a war protest at or near the White House with 500,000 people. 500,000!!!! I know because I really really wanted to go but couldn't get off work. I'd read on-line to follow it. I turned on the news and that story was covered very very briefly. I thought for sure that with a half million people, the media would surely give it a lot of air time (hell Woodstock was a half Mil and that was covered more). They did NOT. But hey the rightie tea parties, they get covered. mad

Do I even need to get into the past eight years that the media never bothered to investigate, oh let me see???????? Hmmm Maybe the fact that we were lied to about the fuckin' Iraq war? mad They covered the ass of the previous President to the max NEVER daring to question anything he did. Has the current President received the same??? NO not at all.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/16/10 02:56 PM.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565407
01/19/10 06:28 AM
01/19/10 06:28 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Well today is the big election in Massachusetts. If Brown wins, that could negatively impact the Administration's agenda. Polls close at 8 PM. The last surveys I saw showed a statistical dead heat between Brown and Coakley or with Brown slightly ahead. This will be interesting.

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #565417
01/19/10 10:39 AM
01/19/10 10:39 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Lets see if for mysterious reasons Boston holds back its returns until the more rural and suburban (read Brown) votes are tabulated, and then a sudden "surge" for Coakley appears and she carries the day. whistle

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: dontomasso] #565451
01/19/10 12:28 PM
01/19/10 12:28 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Just to be contrary I bet my brother that Brown would win but I have no idea as to which way it will go. My understanding is that Coakley comes across as not the most likable candidate and didn't do all that she needed to do to close the deal-the gaffe about Schilling wasn't good.

But it seems surreal that a state which elected Ted Kennedy to the Senate God knows how many times is now torn between Coakely and Brown.

If Coakley loses there will be some recriminations, I know that.
If it's really close -like the Franken/Coleman election- maybe no one gets certified as Senator until much, much later and the health bill passes by the skin of its teeth.

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #565452
01/19/10 12:38 PM
01/19/10 12:38 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Jon Stewart's take

Jon Stewart gets fed up

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #565453
01/19/10 12:49 PM
01/19/10 12:49 PM
California

California
Honestly, I don't know what to think. confused It's hard to believe after 40 some years, the area would go Republican? The media is all over this and there are polls galore, showing a huge gap in many cases. They'll (media) have egg all over their faces if Brown doesn't win by a large margin (it seems that's what the media is hoping for). Then again, it's true (from what I hear) that Coakley isn't as well like and did run a lackluster campaign. I will be watching for the results as well.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/19/10 12:49 PM.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565455
01/19/10 12:59 PM
01/19/10 12:59 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
She doesn't seem very likable and she has gone out of her way to insult the city of Boston on more than one occasion. Still, the idea of a Republican winning Teddy's seat seems almost blasphemous.

And I know Jon Stewart is just trying to be funny and put his own (liberal) spin on things, but if she loses, and the healthcare bill dies on the table, it's going to spell a one term Presidency for Obama.

Page 51 of 95 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 94 95

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull