GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (JCrusher, Mafia101, 1 invisible), 523 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,842
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,434
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,428
Posts1,060,831
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: olivant] #563344
12/27/09 10:09 PM
12/27/09 10:09 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: olivant
The reason some Board members disparage belief in God or one's adherence to religion probably has deeper roots than just an expository on this Board.

No deeper than the reasons many religious people have for disparaging nonbelievers.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563351
12/28/09 12:06 AM
12/28/09 12:06 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I would like to think all "good" people make it to heaven or whatever sort of paradise in the afterlife. And not just the fanclub.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: olivant] #563366
12/28/09 03:45 AM
12/28/09 03:45 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
My mother was part of a pretty intense "born-again" Christian church/cult. She flew over to Vanuatu as a missionary with the head pastor and she reckons she saw the Pastor bring a dead guy back to life. I was always skeptical, but she swears she is telling the truth. I asked what happened to the man who was resurrected and apparently he was alive for no less than 45 mins before he stabbed his wife and kids to death, all because he couldn't handle being back in his "human form" etc.

I still have doubts, But at the same time don't know why Mum would continue with this lie for so long.... She never used it as an argument to try and convince me of Gods existence.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: whisper] #563373
12/28/09 08:30 AM
12/28/09 08:30 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Faith v. Intellectualism. The intellectuals always sound so ..... desparate; maybe even frustrated.

Last edited by MaryCas; 12/28/09 08:30 AM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563378
12/28/09 09:03 AM
12/28/09 09:03 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: VitoC
One reason why I don't believe in God is that I don't think there's any need for a God. Many people look at the universe, human beings, and other complex things and think that these couldn't have come into being without a God. But to me, this just substitutes one mystery for another. The question then becomes: where did God come from? Such a powerful creator would itself call for an explanation as to why it exists. Because of this, I end up concluding that not everything has to have a cause--that even complicated things can exist on their own without a creator.

Often, people point to positive things--people with illnesses recovering or improving, people being motivated to be medical researchers or help others in other ways--as being evidence of God's power at work. But if God (at least an all powerful God) is going to be credited with the amazingly good things that take place, wouldn't he ("it" might be a better pronoun) also have to be blamed for the bad things as well--for example, for making Hitler want to do what he did, and for all the horrible diseases that exist?

In addition, even if there is a God, I don't see a clear reason why God would be morally good. As human history makes abundantly clear, power doesn't equal goodness.

Human knowledge is limited by elements of time and space, both of which are creations of the almighty. To believe in God is to accept there exists a reality or plane of existence that transcends our own; that there is something greater than human knowledge. While Capo has been calling for a "rational" explanation to prove the existence of God, I believe that humaintellect and rationality are human traits and science is a strictly human creation, and are insufficient to fully comprehend or define the existence of God, whose identity as an all-powerful being rests within a separate plane. Thus, to try to use rationality and science alone to disprove or prove his existence is like using a fork to eat soup.

For reasons that are too vast to post here, I believe that God has revealed himself through the prophets and Christ, who, I believe, is the Word made flesh. This isn't merely based on faith, but the resurrestion of Christ seems reasonable to me, based upon many inferences from the events surrounding the crucifixion and rise of the spreading of the gospels.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563386
12/28/09 10:00 AM
12/28/09 10:00 AM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Faith v. Intellectualism. The intellectuals always sound so ..... desparate; maybe even frustrated.

That's a cheap shot.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563391
12/28/09 11:01 AM
12/28/09 11:01 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai

Sitting blindly where you were yesterday v. moving about to get to know your whereabouts: May be desperate and frustrating, but it is satisfying and I don't have to pretend that I know without actually knowing.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563400
12/28/09 12:26 PM
12/28/09 12:26 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay

Why do you talk?

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563407
12/28/09 01:09 PM
12/28/09 01:09 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
In addition, even if there is a God, I don't see a clear reason why God would be morally good. As human history makes abundantly clear, power doesn't equal goodness.
As Richard Dawkins put it in The God Delusion, “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

Even if we take the 'fiction' bit out, even if the Bible were a work of non-fiction, if it were a faithful (no pun!) portrait of God, all of those descriptions are apt.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #563409
12/28/09 01:47 PM
12/28/09 01:47 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Blib
Capo, while I fully understand you think God and organized religion is absurd, can you at least acknowledge that religion can be a good thing for people?

Firstly, I think religious beliefs - which are beliefs in superstition - thrive in a society where universal education has not been achieved; this is also the same society where criminals are punished more than rehabilitated, where poverty is a natural result of exclusive wealth, where crime and poverty are related, where gang cultures have a strong social grip and the laws against such cultures are ill-thought-out.

It's a vicious, vicious cycle of continual destruction; with this, scientific, intellectual, artistic - in a word, human - development can only happen in little bursts of progression, against the greater tide of regression. We need to change the fundamental forces that create these social contradictions.

Religious beliefs do not arise from a vacuum, but from concrete social and historical processes, which we can trace and analyse and learn from. Beliefs in God have evolved through time and space - Klydon's right, but I contend two of his points (the first is obvious and the second is less so): that 'time and space' are 'creations of the almighty'; and that science is no more strictly a 'human creation' than religion. I see both as antagonistic, exclusive ways of interpreting the world; one is founded on rationality, the other on idealism - or 'faith'. Crucially, though, science develops; science is by definition a process of continually attempting to prove itself wrong. Theism is stagnant, reactionary, non-progressive. It is used (and crucially, is able to be used) as a means of homophobia, xenophobia, sexism and many other evils. It deals with a world of absolutes.

And yes, science is limited to the socio-historical forces in which it exists; is limited by the instruments and technology available to it at any one time. These are truisms that do not help the believer's argument, since I've already said science is no more a human construct than religion. But what scientists know about the world now is a lot more than what they knew 100 years ago. Priests, on the other hand, still believe Moses parted the sea.

I could just as easily believe in Middle Earth, in Frodo, in one ring to rule all; through the establishment of time and space - creations of the almighty Gandalf, of course - I might hope that the idea could catch on, and in a coupla thousand years time we're all thanking Frodo for a white fucking Christmas - I mean Frodomas.

With enough social sway, ideas become very powerful, especially in a society in which such sway can garner very quickly as a result of said society's fundamental flaws - i.e., not everyone has the same access to the same level of education, which is of course an economic problem at heart, a class problem. (Sigh.)

To say that science cannot answer the mysteries of creation is an insult, an inherently reactionary statement indeed. It is also an intellectual cop-out. To say 'it is not a cop-out because intellectualism is inadequate and insufficient to give genuine insight into the objective world' is probably the most cynical, depressing statement I've ever read on here.

Quote:
I know you can make the argument that non believers can also change people's lives for the good. You can also argue that religious people can blindly follow their faith and use it to make themselves feel better than others. There are good and bad people in any walk of life and religion is no different.
Yes, I don't think God, or a belief in God, necessarily precludes morality. I think I answer this further below...

Quote:
I'm saying alot to basically make the point that the idea of a higher power is comforting for a lot of people and it helps them cope with daily life. It can even help them do good in the world for others. And if it's a positive thing then why knock it?

As I wrote yesterday: 'That's not to say I don't have some sort of understanding of what might drive people to a belief in God, a belief in some Grand Other (whose image Man tellingly loaned his own) on whom we might project our neuroses and fears for comfort. Historically, it's actually been a clever survival mechanism; I just think it's extremely outdated. (Just as the Industrial Revolution was a vital part of the scientific and intellectual progression of mankind, but how the capitalists ought to be long dead.)'

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: J Geoff] #563413
12/28/09 02:24 PM
12/28/09 02:24 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
The earth was round forever, while most everyone thought it was flat. No one had to prove it was round, it was always round.
This seems to be a fallacy or a truism or both.

If we hadn't changed our understanding of the world through genuine scientific development, we'd still be under the assumption the earth is flat. This is false.

How can you say that we didn't 'have to prove the earth was round'? What a great argument against empiricism. Cynical and depressing.

frown

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563414
12/28/09 02:35 PM
12/28/09 02:35 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
It's absolute nonsense to say 'God believes in us' and that is what matters. That implies and allows a complete rejection of concrete human reality; religious idealism begets self-debilitating sceptical relativism. It's misanthropic and cynical. It's horse shit, I'm afraid.

If God has an agenda, it's a highly contradictory one at best. He's not much of a thinker. Nor, it seems, does he want his creations to be.

If God doesn't have an agenda, there's absolutely no importance surrounding whether or not he exists; he becomes an unimportant abstract, reference to whom we should totally eradicate.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563417
12/28/09 03:03 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm just replying to peeps separately.

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
And in the moments before death, they experienced a surge of strength and a joy that is inexplicable. I was pregnant when my father died, and I felt terrible that he didn't live to see my second child born.
So you're choosing to interpret a medically possible occurrence in religious terms. ('Inexplicable' does not mean 'impossible'.)

Quote:
After I gave birth, my father came to see me. Some might say that it was the morphine, but he was there. I know it. I don't know what world he crossed to be there, but he was THERE. And I believe that God sent him.
So you're choosing to interpret something very possible indeed - you've even mentioned the morphine yourself - in religious terms.

Again, does knowledge of the idea of God preclude the interpretation of such visions in religious terms? I'd argue yes. Another way of putting it: if I lived in a society where there was no idea of God, no knowledge of him, would it be possible for me to explain such images of dead relatives in religious terms? I'd argue no.

Crucially, though, either way it still remains inexplicable. 'God' explains why we have visits from dead loved ones much less than the chemical reasons given by science.

I dreamed I was with my dead grandmother last week. I could just as easily choose to interpret that as God sending her to me in a dream.

Quote:
However, my mother and I are both cancer survivors. Science? Of course. And I believe that God guided those doctors in their endeavors. I also believe the amazing complexities of the human body is further proof of God.
Why does God guide some doctors and not others? That agenda thing again: contradictory. He's a bit selective for someone who's apparently omnipotent, no?

Quote:
We are incredible creatures, and I believe that we had a creator.
Riddle me this: Did God aid Darwin in his studies on evolution? If so, why? So that Darwin could publish his findings and that people could then be tested for their loyalty to God? Seems like a bit of a vindictive thing to do to me. It's like hiring somebody to seduce your girlfriend and then setting up CCTV in the bedroom...

Or did God secretly hope Darwin would fail in his research? Why didn't he intervene with his power? Why, with Darwin's findings, is God even part of this hypothetical question at all? It's all very absurd, but it brings me back to my previous post.

Or did God place all the 'evidence' against him as a trick on poor old Charles? Again, seems a bit of a shitty thing to do for someone who loves everyone. What had Darwin done to deserve that?

Hmmm. Perhaps I'm thinking too much about this mystery being. Perhaps I just need to have a hot bath and wash away my rationality - it's done no one any good anyhow, has it, because the real truth 'transcends all human endeavour'. (AND PEOPLE SAY IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT FAITH REASON IS INVOLVED AS WELL. BUT REASONING OFTEN ENDS IN FALLACY OHNO!)

That's not me misunderstanding, either: if a God exists and that God has a moral agenda (which he should, otherwise 'God' becomes reducible to 'physics' or 'nature', becomes a meaningless abuse of language), then he is the real truth, and we'd be better off killing ourselves in the would-be full-of-meaning-and-explanation world, because what would be the point?

This same God could also have given us a better vocabulary, because the whole notion of 'belief' unavoidably implies a conscious choice to be made between something, between truth and non-truth. And if God exists, it doesn't come down to a belief at all, because it then becomes the ultimate truth. (Which then brings us to the last sentence of my previous paragraph.)

(Again, sorry to repeat, but this brings us back to what I said earlier: consider the meaninglessness of the following statement: I do not believe that boys have penises and girls have vaginas. Or, I do not believe that tigers have stripes or that leopards have spots.)

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563418
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I wouldn't try to prove there is no God. I'd only say one way or another, it doesn't matter. Would I change a single thing in my life if he existed? No! Would he, if he exists and there's an afterlife send me to hell for not recognizing his existence? I'd say I'd be better off in hell to be with such a petty God.

As it is, my understanding of the human life is that once your brain is gone, you are no more.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: afsaneh77] #563423
12/28/09 04:31 PM
12/28/09 04:31 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Would he, if he exists and there's an afterlife send me to hell for not recognizing his existence? I'd say I'd be better off in hell to be with such a petty God.

Hear hear!

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563438
12/28/09 07:05 PM
12/28/09 07:05 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Would he, if he exists and there's an afterlife send me to hell for not recognizing his existence? I'd say I'd be better off in hell to be with such a petty God.

Hear hear!

For the record, let me clear up a misconception on this issue. Roman Catholicism, in particular, does not teach that salvation is based upon acceptance of God and recognition of the divinity of Christ. This is a common mistake made by nonbelievers, who lack essential knowledge of the faith, but love a sound bite.

It is taught that our salvation is through Christ, but acknowledges that there are many, who for whatever reason are not believers, but will share eternal life. This is a doctrine I learned when I was young.

By the way, another misconception, to which there was an allusion within the thread, is that believers in God lack the education, intellect and sophistication of nonbelievers. I think you'll find that a proportional share of atheists and theists rode the short bus.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: klydon1] #563442
12/28/09 07:18 PM
12/28/09 07:18 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yeah, I know a lot of people who declare indifference ('fuck that' / 'whatever lol') to religious views, and they're not educated in the slightest.

But that doesn't mean contemporary religion isn't a product of the same society that inevitably creates vast gulfs in wealth and therefore education. (I've said elsewhere on this board that if we were to abolish God, we would have to abolish the fundamental flaws in society that create the material voids that God helps fill.)

On the flip side, I find it extraordinary how people who show a clear capacity for rational analysis of situations - I'd include you in that bracket, Klyd, as well as Sicilian Babe - and yet still maintain faith in a superstition.

It might be a generational thing. A lot of successful, educated people inherited their faith thanks to family indoctrination. We need to teach our children how to think, not what to think.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: klydon1] #563445
12/28/09 07:37 PM
12/28/09 07:37 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: klydon1

Hear hear!

For the record, let me clear up a misconception on this issue. Roman Catholicism, in particular, does not teach that salvation is based upon acceptance of God and recognition of the divinity of Christ. This is a common mistake made by nonbelievers, who lack essential knowledge of the faith, but love a sound bite.

It is taught that our salvation is through Christ, but acknowledges that there are many, who for whatever reason are not believers, but will share eternal life. This is a doctrine I learned when I was young.

Thanks for that clarification. There are some fundamentalists, however, who do believe that anyone who doesn't believe the "correct" religious theology will go to hell. I am Jewish and so is my mother and all her family, except for her sister. She became a born again Christian many years ago and has her own Bible class. She has said that both of her and my mother's parents are in hell since they didn't accept Christianity before they died. At the same time, she clearly thinks of herself as a very compassionate and moral person. It has always boggled my mind how anyone with the slightest glimmer of compassion could believe something like that. By their logic, Hitler could have gone to heaven even after causing WWII and the Holocaust just by accepting born again Christianity in the bunker before he died. But a three year old Jewish child gassed at Treblinka who was too young to even know what religion means before they were killed went to hell. Who would need the devil with a God like that!

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563467
12/29/09 12:19 AM
12/29/09 12:19 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
VitoC, I've never understood that brand of Christianity. How is it possible that if you believe in Jesus, who came to Earth to sacrifice Himself to wash away our sins, that you could possibly condemn "non-believers" to hell?? That goes against all His teachings! He taught love, acceptance, tolerance, respect and humility. How can anyone interpret that to be "believe as I do, or go to hell?" It makes no sense to me.

As for my father's appearance at my bed, Capo, it was no hallucination. He was there. I felt his presence. I saw him. He was no hallucination. He wanted to see my daughter, because he died two months before she was born.

As for religion, to me, there's a vast difference between faith and religion.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563469
12/29/09 12:28 AM
12/29/09 12:28 AM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
VitoC, I've never understood that brand of Christianity. How is it possible that if you believe in Jesus, who came to Earth to sacrifice Himself to wash away our sins, that you could possibly condemn "non-believers" to hell?? That goes against all His teachings! He taught love, acceptance, tolerance, respect and humility. How can anyone interpret that to be "believe as I do, or go to hell?" It makes no sense to me.

It doesn't make sense, but that's how some people are. My mother told me that a woman once told her that her minister said that the Jews got what they deserved in the Holocaust for rejecting Jesus. I was thinking the same thing--how does compassion fit into a belief system like that? I'd hate to see wickedness if that's compassion!

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563472
12/29/09 01:12 AM
12/29/09 01:12 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
As for my father's appearance at my bed, Capo, it was no hallucination. He was there. I felt his presence. I saw him. He was no hallucination. He wanted to see my daughter, because he died two months before she was born.

“Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.”

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563482
12/29/09 09:59 AM
12/29/09 09:59 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: SC

Thanks SC, I like that one.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563485
12/29/09 12:01 PM
12/29/09 12:01 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Thanks SC, I like that one.

It's a quote from Khalil Gibran. I'm sure an old hippy like you must have read some of his stuff. smile

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563486
12/29/09 12:06 PM
12/29/09 12:06 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY

Why do some people have to have scientific proof for this and for that?

I believe in miracles, guardian Angels. Just because I can't see an Angel doesn't mean they aren't there. I have enough faith to know that they are Angels all around us. If it wasn't for God and his Angels I wouldn't be alive today.

We don't get to decide who goes to Heaven or who goes to Hell. That is up to God.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Mignon] #563488
12/29/09 12:22 PM
12/29/09 12:22 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Mignon

Probably because they have no faith.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563489
12/29/09 12:49 PM
12/29/09 12:49 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

The thing that always disturbs me about faith is that it seems like it could be used to justify anything and enable people to believe whatever they want, regardless of what the evidence shows. What if a Holocaust denier, when asked about the overwhelming evidence for the Holocaust, said "Yes, the evidence and all logic suggests there was a Holocaust. But I just have faith there wasn't"?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563490
12/29/09 12:51 PM
12/29/09 12:51 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

Doesn't the huge number of world faiths with mutually incompatible beliefs suggest that faith can be an unreliable guide to what's true?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563491
12/29/09 12:59 PM
12/29/09 12:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The thing that always disturbs me about faith is that it seems like it could be used to justify anything and enable people to believe whatever they want, regardless of what the evidence shows. What if a Holocaust denier, when asked about the overwhelming evidence for the Holocaust, said "Yes, the evidence and all logic suggests there was a Holocaust. But I just have faith there wasn't"?

Doesn't the huge number of world faiths with mutually incompatible beliefs suggest that faith can be an unreliable guide to what's true?

I guess there is no inherent right or wrong in one's faith. It's an individual thing.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563493
12/29/09 01:11 PM
12/29/09 01:11 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
I guess there is no inherent right or wrong in one's faith. It's an individual thing.

Agreed.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563500
12/29/09 02:13 PM
12/29/09 02:13 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
And, as such, is pretty redundant as a social moral force.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull