Went to Arby's with the folks yesterday. It wasn't even 5pm yet so it was empty; just one guy on line ordering. The manager was serving, another manager-type was doing some paperwork, and the cook was taking orders in addition to preparing the food.

It soon became apparent that everything was going soooooo slowly, and the manager appeared drunk not just to me, but to the other customer (and those who followed). He counted products very slowly, and aloud, placing them in bags. He put things in bags, walked around with them, placed them down, picked them up, walked them elsewhere -- had trouble getting orders together properly, had what appeared to be slurred speech because I couldn't understand him. After a while all the customers were getting quite agitated and couldn't believe it. Orders weren't getting out!

I was sure to catch the guy's name (and made a point of it), as did at least one other customer I chatted with who also planned to complain when we got home (via the online survey and/or phone). Before leaving, the cook was in the store for whatever reason so the other guy asked him what the manager's deal was. Apparently he's handicapped.

WTF??

Now is it supposed to be OKAY that service sucked to the point of total customer dissatisfaction just because they put this person on the front lines?? My mom's like, "are you still going to complain?" and I'm like hell yeah -- everyone should be treated equally, right? wink

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for those with disabilities to have the same opportunities as everyone else: as long as they can perform those jobs with reasonable competence. I'm pretty sure the front counter of a fast food joint isn't the best "managerial" position for this particular person.

So I filled out the online survey and answered all the questions honestly and accurately. In the final comments I wrote
Quote:
The Manager (Andy) who was serving appeared confused and overly slow performing basic tasks, as if drunk, which slowed everything down to a point where customers were getting agitated. If this is typical, he should probably be put on tasks that don't involve direct customer contact or tasks that don't need to be done in a timely manner to serve hot food to customers.

Not too harsh, right? Most people won't realize he's "slow" and are likely to be more harsh, perhaps even in person. It's GREAT that some companies give people opportunities that others companies may not, but they really should better match people's skills with the tasks at hand.

Or am I just a sonofabitch? whistle

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations