Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Quite frankly, I personally didn't reply to any of your posts or try to tackle anything that you said because what you wrote and the words you chose prove that you wouldn't listen anyway. So, what's the point? You've made up your mind. You obviously think of those that believe as mindless sheep. So, let us baa away.
I was writing my last post as you posted yours.

I'm not sure about the 'mindless sheep' thing; to a large extent, if pushed, I'd have to question why people would believe in a God without at least admitting to its essential silliness, like people do with other superstitions.

My vehemence is in response to the utter seriousness with which we are meant to treat theisms; why must 'God' endure science when the notion of a flat world and so many other naive beliefs rightly haven't?

That's not to say I don't have some sort of understanding of what might drive people to a belief in God, a belief in some Grand Other (whose image Man tellingly loaned his own) on whom we might project our neuroses and fears for comfort. Historically, it's actually been a clever survival mechanism; I just think it's extremely outdated. (Just as the Industrial Revolution was a vital part of the scientific and intellectual progression of mankind, but how the capitalists ought to be long dead.)

The question of why one might believe in God is not insignificant. Beyond familial indoctrination, that is.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?