Originally Posted By: klydon1

By the way, like just about everybody else from NE PA, I am a descendant of coal and anthracite miners, who probably had the most dangerous, non-combat jobs in the country's history. If they escaped the cave-ins, they had black lung to deal with. My grandfather would usually see the daylight in winter only on Sundays as he entered the mines six days a week before dawn, and left after dusk. On one occasion a rail cart of coal crushed his finger and he was sent to the company doctor, who amputated most of the finger swiftly and without telling him what he was doing. He had to report to work the next day.

My in-laws are from the same part of NE PA. I read a book called the "Breaker Boys" (I think) about child labor in the coal mines. Quite harrowing. These boys were in their early teens and their job was to sit over the conveyor belt and remove rocks from the coal before it went into the "Breaker". Finger losses were common. The only way to be excused from work was to lose a leg. Arm losses were OK.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12