That reminds me of my brother's Thanksgiving story, Klyd. He was teaching in the South Bronx. Most of the families couldn't afford a Thanksgiving dinner, so he decided to make the kids a turkey and bring it to school the day before Thanksgiving. He told his wife not to worry, he was taking care of everything. He brought home a frozen turkey after work on Tuesday night. I think he ended up staying up cooking the damn thing until about 4 in the morning!!! God knows what it tasted like.

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year. I enjoy doing it, because I don't have to think about what to cook - every year the menu is pretty much the same - turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes with marshmallows and a green vegetable. Because we're so many, we're making both a turkey and a turkey breast, though.

This year, in deference to my brother's complaints that we eliminated my mother's lasagna a few years ago, I'm making 3 lbs. of penne, and setting up a pasta station with the cheese and crackers. My mom's making marinara sauce, I'm making vodka sauce, and Mr. Babe is making a gorgonzola sauce. He's also making his very popular turkey pate`.

Then we'll have the usual pies and cakes, including my daughter's home-made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. My SIL also makes turkey cookies. While she's not the best cook (she may have gone to the same cooking school as SC's sister), it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them.

Edit: I have a family to share the holiday with, I have a home to host it in, and I have plenty of food to share. I am so thankful and am trying to remember that there are so many out there that are not as fortunate.

Last edited by Sicilian Babe; 11/25/09 12:36 PM.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club