Originally Posted By: Turnbull
His wooing of Kay after he returned to the US struck me as cold and businesslike--as if he were adding another possession to his portfolio of "legitimacy." Kay's WASP credentials, values and manners were, to Michael, a certified sign of "legitimacy." (In the novel, Michael's disappointed that Kay took instructions in the Church and raised the kids as Catholics--he preferred them to be Protestants because it was more "American.") I believe he loved Kay in his way, but the loss of Apollonia withdrew a lot of his emotional capital.

This raises another question: In III, just before Calo tells him that Don Tomassino's dead, he begs Kay to "forgive" him. Do you think that was his only motivation? Or do you think he wanted Kay to remarry him to cement his "legitimacy"?

I agree with the idea that when he proposed to Kay it was more businesslike. Michael had no social life, and she was the logical choice. I am sure Vito told him it was time for him to start a family and that he would no longer object to his marrying that American he brought to the wedding. I think Mike was in love with the idea of Kay and the veneer of legitimacy she brought to the table, but not Kay herself. Look how he treated her when she tried to see her children in Tahoe. That is not love.

I also think in Sicily he wanted her forgiveness and her declaration of love as a vindication (they deleted a love making scene from the movie) and nothing more. I think he accepted that she was married to someone else, and no I do not think he would whack Douglas to get Kay back.

BTW has anyone ever done a Kay or Apollonia poll (like Mary Anne or Ginger) ?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."