Today I watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". It was a very, very good film about both sides of The Holocaust.

The story is about two eight year old boys. Bruno is the son of a Nazi commandant and Shmuel is a Jewish inmate of the camp. The two boys meet by the barbed wire and develop a relationship. The film contrasts the innocence of the two children with the absolute horror of what is going on around them. They obviously don't understand the full implications of Nazi Germany and what it's doing to each of them and their families.

There are several heartbreaking moments in the film, as each of the boys begins to understand what is unfolding around them. As Bruno's sister gives up her dolls for Nazi posters and the uniform of a Nazi Youth, his mother slips into an almost catatonic state as she realizes what kind of man she is married to.

The boys can't begin to understand what is happening, just like those who have looked back at this period of history, even as we've seen other genocides occur. Don't miss this film. I cried my eyes out, though, so be warned!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club