GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,587
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539204
04/29/09 09:24 PM
04/29/09 09:24 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss

Swing Time (1938), won the Academy Award for Best Original Song and went on to become Astaire's most successful hit record, scoring first place in the U.S. charts in 1936. Kern's score, the second of three he composed specially for Astaire, contains three of his most memorable songs.[4]

But while it is considered to be one of Astaire and Rogers' greatest films, the film's plot has been criticized[5] as has the performance of Metaxa.[1][2] On the plus side is a particularly fine acting and dancing performance[6] from Ginger Rogers who, it is believed,[2] had an affair with director Stevens during the making of the film. Rogers herself, credited much of the film's success to Stevens: "He gave us a certain quality, I think, that made it stand out above the others."[2] Swing Time also marked the beginning of a decline in popularity of the Astaire-Rogers partnership among the general public, with box office receipts falling faster than usual, after a successful opening.[7] Nevertheless, the film was a sizable hit, costing $886,000 while grossing over $2,600,000 worldwide and showing a net profit of $830,000. Still, the partnership never again quite regained the creative heights scaled in this and previous films.[8]

In 1999, Swing Time was one of Entertainment Weekly's top 100 films. In 2004, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". In the new AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) it has been added at #90.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Time

Swing Time Trailer (1936)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNOMw2W-o8o
This film just embodies perfectly that 'swing-time' fever and spectacle from the late 30's and early 40's.

Swing Time Dance - Rogers and Astaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPgplMujzQ
I love Ginger's hair and dress in this. I also like watching them dance over the little guard rail, and then dance right back over it again. haha This dance combines aesthetics and social commentary in one. wink

Fred Astaire - The Way You Look Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPUAHTWQ6Ps
"Can't sing. Can't act. Balding. Can dance a little." Or to hear Fred recant the story: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances". No one really knew what to do with Fred Astaire when he was signed to MGM in 1933, and I think that's why I like his 'story' so much. But after seeing him perform "The Way You Look Tonight" (a now renowned hit among American audiences performed by Tony Bennett and many others, which made it's debut in this film) it's quite obvious that Fred Astaire was much more than a dancer. And, considering his now renowned acting skills, it's hard not to call him one the most dynamic entertainers of the century...And this is probably my favorite Fred and Ginger moment that I've seen thus far. No dancing, but they still manage to say it all, without really 'saying' a word at all. smile

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539366
05/02/09 12:41 AM
05/02/09 12:41 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Nice review Ice.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #539367
05/02/09 12:42 AM
05/02/09 12:42 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Also, Sam Raimi's EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN on at 2AM tonight.

Yes, on TCM.

Joe Bob Briggs would be so proud.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #539386
05/02/09 12:51 PM
05/02/09 12:51 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Just finished watching a movie on TCM called 'LITTLE FUGITIVE'

It a story about a little boy who runs away from home because he thinks that he has killed his brother ( his brother and friends set it up to play a joke on him ) and winds up in Coney Island having the time of his life.

The filmmaker really captured the essence of Coney Island ( at least the way it was up until 30 years ago).

Very nostalgic. Seeing some of those places that I remember passing or going to as a kid brought back many memories. I had almost forgotten about those HUGE water fountains that used to stand in the middle of the beach! I can vividly remember the crowds standing around those fountains on a hot summer's day. The filmmaker definitely shot that movie in 'real time' with real life actually taking place around his filming the movie.

I was waiting for the man with the brown shopping bags in each hand, walking through the beach yelling "Hot Knishses!" " Cold Drinks" (sunny D's) to walk across the screen! lol

In one of the scenes, when the camera scans down a small side street between Mermaid ave and the boardwalk, the memory of the stench of those side streets on a scorching hot summer day seemed to fill my nostrils.

The scenes on the beach really brought back the memories of when my mom, grandmother, aunt, cousins and myself used to go to Coney Island beach when I was a kid.

And the boardwalk / arcade / ride scenes brought me back to the days when my dad and I would jump in the car on a warm summer night and we'd go to Coney Island, have a Shatkins knish or a Nathans Dog with fries, and he'd take me on the rides and then we'd play games in the arcade. I know that I rode the ponies in the same place that the young boy in the movie did.

SC, you were right. Anyone who's ever experienced the original Coney Island will enjoy watching this movie.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #539482
05/03/09 02:47 PM
05/03/09 02:47 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Yes, on TCM.

Yep, TCM Underground RAWKS! You gotta love that! grin

I really think the pendulum is about to swing back to classic movies, this station in particular. People are discovering these movies for the first time b/c they weren't very accessible even 15-20 years ago. I once heard a story on TCM about Cary Grant not being recognized by a 'celebrity-seeker' on the streets of Hollywood during the 80's. It's b/c there's never been a medium for these movies -- until NOW.

And I did some research on DC's "Little Fugitive (1953)" and found it's been regarded as one of the pioneering works in the "New Wave" movement. Director Abrashkin died from Lou Gehrig's disease at Coney Island during the making of the film.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539483
05/03/09 02:48 PM
05/03/09 02:48 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Anyway, today TCM is showing Marlon Brando in "The Wild One" (1953), and I think this would be a good time to re-post our friend Turnbull's review of this iconic classic. And there really isn't any moment in Hollywood history more iconic than Brando sitting on his motorcycle wearing that leather jacket, and anyone and everyone on this board knows how much Turnbull loves this movie.

This is the sort of recollection I was hoping to evoke from some of you with this thread. smile

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The other night I watched (again) "The Wild One," without a doubt the most iconic American movie of the Fifties. Despite being a "B" movie (and not a particularly brilliant one at that), "The Wild One" contains one of Brando's most forceful and definitive performances. Every serious compendium of film criticism (print or video) rates this movie at or near the top of the most influential films of the Fifties. Unlike "Streetcar," "On the Waterfront," "Viva Zapata" or "The Men," where Brando was surrounded by other capable actors, here he has a near-solo showcase for his ability to totally dominate everything (although Lee Marvin turns in an early, effective performance as a convincingly wretched fellow-biker).
One of the reasons I love "The Wild One" is that, when it came to our neighborhood moviehouse in '54 (almost a year after it was released), I was the only kid who had a real, leather motorcycle jacket. Andy Warhol once said everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. My 15 minutes of fame came on that matinee when all the neighborhood kids and I watched "The Wild One." And every one of them begged me to let them wear my motorcycle jacket while watching the film. Ah, what a moment... smile Afterward, we all attached a clothespin to a playing card, mounted the clothespin to the rear wheel of our bicycles, and let the playing card flap against the spokes of the wheel--making a sound like a motorcycle. Perfect!

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539484
05/03/09 02:49 PM
05/03/09 02:49 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss

Night and Day is a 1946 Technicolor Warner Brothers biographical film of the life of American composer and songwriter Cole Porter. It was directed by Michael Curtiz and produced by Arthur Schwartz, with Jack L. Warner as executive producer. The screenplay was by Charles Hoffman, Leo Townsend and William Bowers.

The music score by Ray Heindorf and Max Steiner was nominated for an Academy Award. The film features several of the best-known Porter songs, including the title song, "Night and Day", "Begin the Beguine" and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy".

The film stars Cary Grant as Cole Porter and Alexis Smith as his wife of 35 years, Linda Lee Porter Monty Woolley and Mary Martin appear as themselves and the rest of the cast includes Jane Wyman, Eve Arden, Alan Hale, Dorothy Malone, Donald Woods, and Ginny Simms.

The film is a highly fictionalized and sanitized version of Cole Porter's life, leaving out amongst other things references to his homosexuality. A later film biography of Porter, the 2004 De-Lovely with Kevin Kline, dealt more frankly with his sexuality.[1][2]

Judy Garland performed a medley of Porter's songs at the 37th Academy Awards, the first Oscars ceremony held following Porter's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_and_Day_

Well, it's not too often that tribute films are made to those who are still active in their lives and profession, but Cole Porter was pretty much at the zenith of his career when this film was released. Which speaks to the greatness of his life and work. Here's some of Porter's music used in this tribute film:

Cary Grant on the piano! eek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UwoPT_Xd4
Cary probably couldn't sing too well, and I'm not sure whose voice this is, but a VERY cool scene here.

Mary Martin - My Heart Belongs To Daddy grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z95ugtQnmU
The song contains one of Porter's most obscure lyrics among its several rhymes for "daddy" - in which the singer talks about her "fine finnan haddie", a Scottish term for smoked haddock. Referring specifically to the melody, Oscar Levant described it as "one of the most Yiddish tunes ever written" despite the fact that "Cole Porter's genetic background was completely alien to any Jewishness."

Begin The Beguine clap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy92ilkSZ5A
Based on the title dance, it is notable for its 108-measure length, departing drastically from the conventional thirty-two-bar form. A beguine is a spirited ballroom dance. Since "begin" and "beguine" are often pronounced the same by some people, it is common to see the song's title misspelled as "Begin the Begin", as when used tongue-in-cheek by R.E.M. as the title to a track on Lifes Rich Pageant.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539485
05/03/09 02:57 PM
05/03/09 02:57 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'd like to see some classics get revived and other generations get to know them. There is a certain glamour that's missing today. Or, if not glamour, a certain aura that's not there. Or, am I just nostalgic.

I do love Cary Grant. smile One of my favorites was "Arsenic & Old Lace". I enjoy watching it even now. Of course North By Northwest was great too. I also liked Father Goose in Grant's later acting years. Oh, and also To Catch A Theif (perfect role for Grant I think) and Charade with Audrey Hepburn. When I think of "suave" two famous actors come to mind (there are probably more, but for me these two); one, Grant of course and the other Robert Wagner. wink

But, yea, my kids would say Cary who?

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/03/09 03:04 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #539521
05/04/09 01:34 AM
05/04/09 01:34 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Ice
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Yes, on TCM.

Yep, TCM Underground RAWKS! You gotta love that! grin

I really think the pendulum is about to swing back to classic movies, this station in particular. People are discovering these movies for the first time b/c they weren't very accessible even 15-20 years ago. I once heard a story on TCM about Cary Grant not being recognized by a 'celebrity-seeker' on the streets of Hollywood during the 80's. It's b/c there's never been a medium for these movies -- until NOW.

And I did some research on DC's "Little Fugitive (1953)" and found it's been regarded as one of the pioneering works in the "New Wave" movement. Director Abrashkin died from Lou Gehrig's disease at Coney Island during the making of the film.

What TCM was, in the pre-Netflix/DVD era, was a niche channel which was a great resource for movie buffs to watch classic films, and other unseen/underseen productions, that wasn't shown on television anywhere at the time.

More such niche channels, like BRAVO! and AMC, eventually abandon their original aims in favor of ratings and more advertizement money, and now those two air the same shit, same movies, etc. Remember, BRAVO! once was an arty movie channel (airing French New Wave pictures, etc.) and AMC of course was TCM before TCM, showing old classics without commercial breaks.

But TCM has stuck to its original mission: Widescreen if possible, no cuts, no fucking breaks, an ever expanded library, and specials/themes that actually clue in people to other aspects of cinema that people usually forget or ignore, like the depictions by Hollywood throughout the decades on blacks, gays, hispanics, Asians, etc.

Take a documentary I watched of theirs some weeks back, about the Walt Disney live action movies of the 1950s/1960s. I must admit, that whole topic didn't appeal to me at all, but I watched because nothing else was on. Instead I was quite intrigued and captivated by that fascinating background on how Disney got involved with nature documentaries, later live-action productions like 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (they were cheaper than animation, and quicker to film), and indeed that expanded profit quota is how we got eventually Disneyland, and the supposed Walt Disney "brandname."

This is why TCM kicks ass. Plus, Robert Osbourne is such an easing, grandfatherly presence, he's an icon to movie nerds.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #546608
06/27/09 04:12 AM
06/27/09 04:12 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Today's a good day for TCM subscribers. They're airing 12 Alfred Hitchcock movies in a mini-marathon. smile

Check out the schedule on the link below:

TCM SCHEDULE FOR JUNE 27th

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #546614
06/27/09 08:51 AM
06/27/09 08:51 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
In general this whole month of June has been a VERY good one for TCM, as they are honoring the great directors both past and present, American and foreign...devoting 24 hour days to their films. Already honored over past few weeks:

Woody Allen
Steven Speilberg
William Wyler
Billy Wilder
William A. Wellman
Howard Hawks
Ingmar Bergman
Norman Jewison
Martin Scorsese
Frank Capra
Vincent Minelli

Today, as noted by SC - Hitchcock
Tomorrow, George Cukor

It's really been a fabulous series and I really would love to see them make it an annual event like 'Summer Under the Stars' every August.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: AppleOnYa] #551520
08/09/09 03:35 PM
08/09/09 03:35 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
In general this whole month of June has been a VERY good one for TCM, as they are honoring the great directors both past and present, American and foreign...devoting 24 hour days to their films.
It's really been a fabulous series and I really would love to see them make it an annual event like 'Summer Under the Stars' every August.

The pieces on John Ford and Cecil B. Demille were a filmaking 101 class in themselves. I'm fascinated with the study of Hollywood's history, and TCM really offered a great insight into the "Genesis" of Hollywood with their Directors Series. Filmmaking was a relatively new concept when directors like Demille, Ford and Wilder decided to take Broadway West and put it into a new fad that was emerging called "Moving Pictures." And then they all had to adapt again when the moving pictures obtained sound, and I found it especially interesting that directors like Ford and DeMille were apprehensive about the talkies despite their later immense sucess with them. But yeah, the Demille and Ford pieces were especially interesting b/c their careers overlapped such as they did famously at a McCarthy style hearing in the 40's. And the DeMille piece showed old photos of Hollywood when it looked like a trailor park. lol

And yes, it's been a great *Summer Under the Stars* (Henry Fonda, Judy Garland, last night Bette Davis) and it's just beginning. Earlier today, from 1947, was Cary Grant and Merna Loy with a teenage Shirley Temple in "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer".

Years earlier Shirley Temple was bigger than Cary Grant and Merna Loy combined, but this film really represtented her struggle to find more adult roles - Something she of course never really overcame. ohwell This may be an undeniably 'B' movie, but it's a historical artifact on many levels if it has a teenage Shirley Temple.

And what about this very infamous picture of her produced in 1939. It's Temple's head superimposed on the body of some sort of devil goddess with a bat perched on her head and surrounded by the bones of her 'victims'. The bottom reads: "Shirley!. at last in Technicolor". It's said to be a satire on the sexualization of child stars, but really a satire on the sexualization of modern theatre/cinema and storytelling in general, IMO.

(Shirley Temple Black is still alive, btw. She turned 81 in April.)

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #551988
08/16/09 05:10 PM
08/16/09 05:10 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Sunday is Elvis day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars. wink

G.I. Blues is a 1960 Elvis Presley musical motion picture played as a romantic comedy. It was filmed while Presley was fulfilling his military service obligation with the United States Army in West Germany during the height of the Cold War. It was filmed at Paramount's Hollywood studios and on location in Germany.

The Army appointed public information officer John J. Mawn (1915-2007) as technical advisor for the film. Mawn had presided over Presley's military press conferences. Earlier while at Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith, Arkansas, where Presley stopped en route to his basic training in Texas, Mawn had told the Associated Press that Presley would resemble a "peeled onion" in reference to his forthcoming "G.I. haircut." The retort attracted national headlines.

Elvis Presley's return to the screen after a two-year absence due to his military service saw lineups at movie theatres across North America and in Mexico City a riot broke out in a theater showing G.I. Blues that prompted the Mexican government to ban Presley's movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Blues

The King's films are often plotless and lacking any real thematic substance. But who cares. wink

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #551993
08/16/09 06:23 PM
08/16/09 06:23 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Looking back now, most of his movies were lame. However, back in the day, I looked forward to his 3 movies a year. smile Not many of them truly stand out, but there are a few I really enjoyed.

Among my favorites (Jailhouse Rock & King Creole). I love the early ones.

Yet, of the what I'll call "fluff" films that were entertaining and had good songs, Viva Las Vegas comes to mind. I love is version of What'd I Say, and of course the whole Vegas backdrop is appealing to me; Girl Happy was just on and I caught the last 15 minutes of it. Kissin Cousins wasn't bad.

But, the real appeal was just how fine Elvis looked. wink Even looking today at these old films, reminds me of how he was so easy to look at.

I do miss Elvis. If he were still alive, I have no doubt he'd be playing Vegas often and I'd be seeing him more than just a few times.

I am so glad I did see him at least once (in 75). I'll never forget it.

TIS

P.S. Ever notice that nearly (a few exceptions) all of Elvis' female co-stars were never seen again? Hmmm

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/16/09 06:28 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #551996
08/16/09 07:09 PM
08/16/09 07:09 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
i really dont care for elvis as an actor...i just wish they had a brando day

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #552001
08/16/09 07:43 PM
08/16/09 07:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

But, the real appeal was just how fine Elvis looked. wink Even looking today at these old films, reminds me of how he was so easy to look at.

That's always what it is with you girls - sex, sex, sex. We men want to be appreciated for our minds, for who we are inside. Sure, we are always ready to go to it on a moment's notice, but that's just because we know how demanding ya'll are. We want respect! Poor Elvis. Hounded literally to death by the demands of women. Exhaustion, no doubt.

Last edited by olivant; 08/16/09 07:44 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: olivant] #552259
08/18/09 11:42 PM
08/18/09 11:42 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss

The Singing Nun is a 1966 semi-biographical film about the life of Jeanine Deckers, a nun who recorded the chart-topping hit song "Dominique". It starred Debbie Reynolds in the title role.

Jeanine Deckers (October 17, 1933 – March 29, 1985), better known in English as The Singing Nun, was a Belgian nun, and a member (as Sister Luc Gabriel) of the Dominican Fichermont Convent in Belgium. She became internationally famous in 1963 as Soeur Sourire (Sister Smile) when she scored a hit with the song "Dominique". In the English language world, she is mostly referred to as "The Singing Nun".

Deckers rejected the film as "fiction".[2] Sally Field spoofed the role starting the following year as the title character in the television series The Flying Nun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Nun

Despite the film's criticism, Debbie Reynolds is every bit as good a singing nun as Julie Andrews wink

Debbie Reynolds' most notable role is of course Singin' in the Rain (1952), but it's her lesser known works such as The Singing Nun (1966) that I've grown especially fond of. And did you know that Debbie Reynolds is the mother of Star Wars' Carrie Fisher?

As the story goes: Elizabeth Taylor basically stole Debbie's Reynold's husband, Eddie Fisher, the father of Carrie and her brother when the two were toddlers. Fisher was the best friend of Taylor's deceased husband, Michael Todd, producer of Around the World In Eighty Days (1956), who died in a freak plane crash in 1958 when Liz was filming Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958).

Elizabeth Taylor, the quintessiantial actress of the modern era and the most out spoken (still is apparently (Michael Jackson)) especially in terms of morality and sexuality (though she claims to have never consumated outside of wedlock), will forever be the girl with diamonds in her eyes even bigger than the ones on her rings. The most beautiful woman in the world became the ultimate star crossed movie icon after the death of her husband in 1958.

It was a monumental mourning in Hollywood. And when Taylor found new love in her deceased's friend Eddie Fisher, though it was at the expense of Debbie Reynolds Fisher, the legend around the star-crossed Taylor continued to grow. It would for decades to come, of course. Elizabeth Taylor and her court of matrimonial lovers is STILL one of Hollywood's greatest stories. Poor Liz, who had dieted on Gerber baby food b/c of deadly stomach ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome, had grown up on the screen in front of our eyes. She was one of the most controversial movie stars in terms of morality and ideology. And years later the movie icon turned philanthropist is still America's darling today to many adoring fans, though she is confined to her wheelchair and living publicly much through the legacy of others, i.e Michael Jackson. Eddie Fisher became a distant memory soon after their 1959 marriage when she famously wed Richard Burton in 1964.

As for Debbie...After the splitup with Eddie in 1959 she was a truly shattered and broken house wife who'd seen the only love and lover she'd ever known leave her quite abruptly. But always much more reserved and quaint then many of her contemperaries in Hollywood, Reynolds took the less publicized route. She had two young children to raise and the shattered but stoic LADY never seemed to let Liz's headlines change what happened with her family. She never spoke malcontently of Eddie or Liz in public. All three are still alive today, btw.

Today, Debbie and Carrie are best friends and actually live nextdoor to each other. The 77 yr. old Reynolds runs a dance school and is on tour every month with her dance troup. smile

This VERY rare recording from The Singing Nun (1966) is what dreams are made of. Debbie Reynolds is nothing short of a deity.

Love ya' Liz, but this is a real woman:

Last edited by Ice; 08/18/09 11:50 PM.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #552260
08/19/09 12:02 AM
08/19/09 12:02 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Debbie Reynolds was my first star crush. I was about 7 years old when "Tammy and the Bachelor" came out... it was a few years' worth of pre-adolescent woodies following that. grin

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #552261
08/19/09 12:19 AM
08/19/09 12:19 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
... it was a few years' worth of pre-adolescent woodies following that. grin

You somehow always seem to know EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. grin

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #552283
08/19/09 01:37 PM
08/19/09 01:37 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
wow...i didnt knew that red skelenton had so many movies.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: BAM_233] #552334
08/20/09 10:28 AM
08/20/09 10:28 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I remember seeing The Singing Nun as part of the Radio City Hall Easter Show, if I'm not mistaken.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Sicilian Babe] #552517
08/22/09 02:39 PM
08/22/09 02:39 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Attn: Godfather Fanatics!...Today TCM is featuring our own Captain McCluskey, Mr. *Sterling Hayden*, all day today as TCM's "Summer Under The Stars" continues. Yesterday was Gene Hackman, and I got to see FFC's The Coversation (1974) for the first time. A film also starring John Cazale, it was very cool stuff.

Just now it was Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Stragelove (1964). This is a film that usually graces a lot of critic's top 10 lists, and is also considered one of the best comedies ever, though not necessarily intended by Kubrick to be a comedy - it just sort of happened that way. It has incredible writing and character development with that subtle dark-humor touch from Kubrick, a very serious humor that gets its laugh from the seriousness of the situation at hand - a delusional and fervent anti-Communist US Air Force general (Sterling Hayden) orders a first strike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union that leads up to a possible WWIII. One of the best pictures ever concerning the Cold War scare, it portrays the people and circumstances behind the wars we fight in a twisted and facetious (albeit realistic) manner.

Hayden's performance along with George C. Scott really helped make this the masterpiece that it is. This is a film that deals very seriously with the issue of Communism as it existed after WWII. In real life, Sterling Hayden is said to have revealed he and other actor's Communist ties to a congressional committee. Something he later said he regretted for the rest of his life.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #552539
08/22/09 09:07 PM
08/22/09 09:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
According to IMDB, Turner will air, next Saturday at 4:30 a.m., "Suddenly," a little gem of a thriller starring Hayden as a brave, small town cop thrust into the middle of a plot to assassinate the President of the US. Frank Sinatra plays a chillingly psychopathic hired assassin who takes Hayden, his lady friend, her son and father, hostage in her home as he sets up to shoot the President when his train stops in the little town of Suddenly on the way to a fishing trip. It's Sinatra's finest role, IMO. Don't miss it!

"Dr. Strangelove" was the comic older brother of "Fail-Safe," a truly harrowing film on a runaway bomber group and its consequences. It's one of Sidney Lumet's absolute best efforts, handsomely abetted by Henry Fonda as the President and Edward Binns as the bomber group commander. "Fail-Safe" exemplifies the contribution of a great director: there's practically no exterior action, and most of the movie takes place on a single set, with the President talking to the Soviet Premier. Yet it is totally riveting, frightening, credible.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Turnbull] #552631
08/23/09 10:37 PM
08/23/09 10:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I saw Suddenly years ago. A good movie, but I don't know if it's Sinatra's finest role. Also, ever since the GF, I have trouble seeing Hayden in any other role.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: olivant] #553557
08/30/09 09:38 PM
08/30/09 09:38 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Well, it's no surprise that Turner saved Sinatra for the final Friday of "Summer Under the Stars." Impossible for me to pick a favorite role. Sinatra won his only Oscar for his supporting role in 1954 in "From Here to Eternity," a film that also featured two of the best roles ever in the careers of Burt Lancaster and Monty Clift.

Now, Frank was in competition that year with not one but with two characters from one of the greatest Westerns ever; Shane (1953), a film shown today on Turner starring Alan Ladd and the beautifully funny and talented Jean Arthur, who was featured today on TCM's final day of "Summer Under the Stars."

I had no idea that "Shane" would mark Arthur's final role ever on screen. ohwell She was SO pretty and talented, and one of tne pioneers in 'screw-ball comedy' of the 30's and 40's, and was also known for doing a number of roles with Jimmy Stewart. Despite being 51 at the time Of "Shane," she still had the look of a young, flaxen goddess. But it would be her only film ever done in color and the only time the world ever got to see her beautiful golden hair in color on screen. She dropped out of film altogether, apparently never remarrying the next 40 yrs and remaining childless. Obviously this was unheard of for women in those days, and she was really a true hero just for her efforts to stay her own course in life and not let herself be defined by society's norms. smile

Now, as for the competition that year for the Oscar's best supporting role, among others, Sinatra was up against an 11 year old and a guy who had spoken only a handful of lines, both from "Shane." It was the young boy who played Arthur's son, Joey, and a future contemporary American star in big, bad Jack Palance (who would of course many years later co-star in the modern western acclaim, "City Slickers") for his role as the gunfighter; Jack Wilson, despite his character only speaking only a handful of lines the entire film. But this was just a such a powerful, stirring film that each of the characters resonated right off the screen and into our laps.

Shane is a film that filmmakers have tried to emulate over and over again thoughout the generations, I know for a fact that guys like Turnbull and SC revel in this film, and I've been watching Westerns since youth and I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre. Arguably one of the best climaxes to any film ever, it's as if every moment of the film leads specifically and exculsively to the final gunfight - a gunfight was featured in the film's trailor, apparently producers had no problem filling in the audience to the film's ending. Thus, I'm not really spoiling the film by showing this classic ending b/c the producers put in the trailor for everyone to see.

Notice the powerful performance from the young boy in this closing scene, absolutely Oscar worthy even at such a young age! And Jack Palance is stone-faced and chilling in the villian role as he squares off to meet Shane. Again, arguably the greatest finale to any film ever made...But there was never any doubt about how this one was gonna end. 'He never would have even cleared the holster, would he, Shane.' wink

And Jack,
"I've heard that you're a low-down, Yankee liar." grin tongue

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #553561
08/30/09 09:52 PM
08/30/09 09:52 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Well, it's no surprise that Turner saved Sinatra for the final Friday of "Summer Under the Stars." Impossible for me to pick a favorite role. Sinatra won his only Oscar for his supporting role in 1954 in "From Here to Eternity," a film that also featured two of the best roles ever in the careers of Burt Lancaster and Monty Clift.

Now, Frank was in competition that year with not one but with two characters from one of the greatest Westerns ever; Shane (1953), a film shown today on Turner starring Alan Ladd and the beautifully funny and talented Jean Arthur, who was featured today on TCM's final day of "Summer Under the Stars."

I had no idea that "Shane" would mark Arthur's final role ever on screen. ohwell She was SO pretty and talented, and one of tne pioneers in 'screw-ball comedy' of the 30's and 40's, and was also known for doing a number of roles with Jimmy Stewart. Despite being 51 at the time Of "Shane," she still had the look of a young, flaxen goddess. But it would be her only film ever done in color and the only time the world ever got to see her beautiful golden hair in color on screen. She dropped out of film altogether, apparently never remarrying the next 40 yrs and remaining childless. Obviously this was unheard of for women in those days, and she was really a true hero just for her efforts to stay her own course in life and not let herself be defined by society's norms. smile

Now, as for the competition that year for the Oscar's best supporting role, among others, Sinatra was up against was an 11 year old and a guy who had spoken only a handful of lines, both from "Shane." It was the young boy who played Arthur's son, Joey, and a future contemporary American star in big, bad Jack Palance (who would of course many years later co-star in the modern western acclaim, "City Slickers") for his role as the gunfighter; Jack Wilson, despite his character only speaking only a handful of lines the entire film. But this was just a such a powerful, stirring film that each of the characters resonated right off the screen and into our laps.

Shane is a film that filmmakers have tried to emulate over and over again thoughout the generations, I know for a fact that guys like Turnbull and SC revel in this film, and I've been watching Westerns since youth and I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre. Arguably one of the best climaxes to any film ever, it's as if every moment of the film leads specifically and exculsively to the final gunfight - a gunfight was featured in the film's trailor, apparently producers had no problem filling in the audience to the film's ending. Thus, I'm not really spoiling the film by showing this classic ending b/c the producers put in the trailor for everyone to see.

Notice the powerful performance from the young boy in this closing scene, absolutely Oscar worthy even at such a young age! And Jack Palance is stone-faced and chilling in the villian role as he squares off to meet Shane. Again, arguably the greatest finale to any film ever made...But there was never any doubt about how this one was gonna end. 'He never would have even cleared the holster, would he, Shane.' wink

And Jack,
"I've heard that you're a low-down, Yankee liar." grin tongue

since when was jac palance in shane?

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: BAM_233] #553562
08/30/09 10:05 PM
08/30/09 10:05 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Yep, Jack Palance played the man wearing a black hat in "Shane" decades before he did so in "City Slickers."

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #553580
08/31/09 02:25 AM
08/31/09 02:25 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
A few random, trivial thoughts on the recent TCM offerings:

I can't remember when I've enjoyed so many of the "themed" movies in one day as I have while watching the Jean Arthur films.

Truly trivial - In "The Devil and Miss Jones" (a WONDERFUL, light hearted movie) the four main actors go to Coney Island and end up in the local police station. The collar buttons that the cops are wearing indicating the 60th Precinct are, in fact, the REAL precinct designations for that area!

I was disappointed in what TCM chose to represent Sinatra with... they could have forgotten some of those movies (although a few were good choices - "Some Came Running", "Never So Few", "Suddenly").

It was a nice way to see some of Peter Sellers' early roles ...

And yes, Ice, there aren't enough words to start explaining how good "Shane" is.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Ice] #554184
09/06/09 10:47 AM
09/06/09 10:47 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Happy to see that one of my all time favorites, Claude Rains is September Star of the Month. One of the greatest character actors of all time.

Although alot of my favorite 'Rains' films (Casablanca/Notorious/Mr. Skeffington)were already played on the very first night, I look forward to a month of the rest of his movies.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 09/11/09 07:50 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: AppleOnYa] #554675
09/10/09 07:14 PM
09/10/09 07:14 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Apple, as you said, one of the best performances from Claude Rains is his role in Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious" from 1946. A film also starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, Rains actually had to wear Cowboy boots in his scenes with the much taller Bergman - Rains wasn't terribly tall but one of the best character actors ever. He plays a Nazi supporter who's being sectretly infiltrated by Bergman, a spy, and Rains is able to make the character appealing and actually garner sympathy from the audience. Masterful acting and script in this Hitchcock masterpiece.

And I know Capo already mentioned Rita Hayworth in the 1946 film "Gilda", but I recently saw it for the first time during Summer Under the Stars and was floored by Hayworth's performance of "Put The Blame On Mame." Though it is actually the singing of Anita Ellis, Hayworth's slinky performance of the femme fatale is one of the more provocative moments in movie history.

"In keeping with the film character Gilda being "the ultimate femme fatale", the song sung by her at two scenes facetiously credits the amorous activities of a woman named "Mame" (the name evidently chosen to rhyme with "blame") as the true cause of three well-known cataclysmic events in American history: The Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Great Blizzard of 1888 in New York City and the 1906 San Francisco earthquake." - Wiki

The song is actually performed twice; the first an acoustic:

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull