Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I have heard Obama say many times, he is NOT gonna take their right to bear arms away.

He CAN'T take it away, TIS. That's what these maniacs have to understand. I'm sure Olivant could give us the background on what it would take to overturn the Second Amendment. But I'm quite sure the President can't do it on a whim.

PB, it would take a Constitutional amendment. However, there are a number of qualifications upon the 2nd amendment. For example, Congress has empowered the Capitol Police and Secret Service to restrict the bearing of arms on the Capitol's grounds and on the White House grounds. The most widely known qualification though is the National Firearms Act which restricts automatic firearms ownership and the 1986 Act which bans private ownership of newly manufactured automatic weapons. So, despite what appears to be the unambiguous language of the 2nd amendment, Congress has infringed it. But you are right about the President. Without specific Congressional authorization through legislation, the President is pretty much powerless to restrict firearm possession unless he really stretches his authority as Commander in Chief.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."