GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,587
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #548961
07/15/09 06:17 PM
07/15/09 06:17 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: DiMaggio68
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Why do people always say Sinatra was the greatest singer..

It was Elvis and Orbison smile

Elvis was the king of rock-n-roll and a very great singer as well. However, the king was not Italo Americano............

The best Sinatra song is "Come Fly With Me." What a cool song.

My GF said she likes Leonardo DiCaprio. But did u know he's only got a little drop of dago blood in him. I heard he's like 1/4 Italian.

My mistake, i thought SC was talking about Sinatra in general,but i know SC will think he is in his opinion.. wink

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #548977
07/16/09 05:02 AM
07/16/09 05:02 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I always enjoy looking at these lists. This site has it broken down by category (sports,politics, art, music, etc) They even list some fictional Italians(ie. Rocky Balboa, Tony Soprano). Also they have Sicilian actors. I didn't know Sly's middle name was Enzio. wink Oh, Jon Bon Jovi and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) also is Italian.

TIS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_Americans

There's actually a much better list on wikipedia then that one. Search List of Italian American Actors on google and it will be the first site that pops up. They have all of them.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: olivant] #548978
07/16/09 05:21 AM
07/16/09 05:21 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
Originally Posted By: olivant
Was Brando any part Italian? I've heard he was.

By the way DiMaggio: "Dago"?

Brando is not Italian. If I can't laugh at my self who am I gonna laugh at??????

My favorite actor is CLINT EASTWOOD in general. Because he's a true American. I loved him in Gran Torino where he has friends of other cultures (like i do) and he makes fun of their race as a joke, and they don't get offended over it. It's only the real far to the left hippy kind of folks that take stuff to the extreem. I love what he said on the Hannity show once. He said "what happened to the old days where somebody could say a race joke without the other person getting offended?" He also said that "we have lost our sense of humor." That is so true. Maybe it could be that they're the true racists......

Last edited by DiMaggio68; 07/16/09 06:11 AM.
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #548980
07/16/09 06:03 AM
07/16/09 06:03 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
Although I'm not real impressed with recent roles by either DeNiro or Pacino (for the most part), yet it's a tough call to me. I would still say my all time favorite is still Al Pacino (based mostly on his past roles) smile

I agree 100%.... Al Pacino is the best one. I was really disappointed in "A Time To Kill." I thought 'cause it had DeNiro and Pacino it would be good. But I was wrong.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #548988
07/16/09 10:05 AM
07/16/09 10:05 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
"A Time To Kill" starred Samuel L. Jackson, Matthew McConaughey and Kevin Spacey. I don't believe any of them are Italian.

And please don't use words like "dago". They are racist, and unless I'm mistaken, the use of racist terms in a post is against the rules on this board.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #548995
07/16/09 10:36 AM
07/16/09 10:36 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
[quote=olivant]Was Brando any part Italian? I've heard he was.

My favorite actor is CLINT EASTWOOD in general. Because he's a true American. I loved him in Gran Torino where he has friends of other cultures (like i do) and he makes fun of their race as a joke, and they don't get offended over it. It's only the real far to the left hippy kind of folks that take stuff to the extreem. I love what he said on the Hannity show once. He said "what happened to the old days where somebody could say a race joke without the other person getting offended?" He also said that "we have lost our sense of humor." That is so true. Maybe it could be that they're the true racists......

Yea, don't you just hate that? rolleyes I mean Hannity can't be wrong. Another topic I think.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #548997
07/16/09 10:50 AM
07/16/09 10:50 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

And Pacino and DeNiro, who were both born here, aren't "true" Americans? Do you even realize how overtly racist the statement "true American" is? Or maybe it's just their dark complexions that make them less American, huh?

Sean Hannity is a self loathing troglodyte.

Yeah, we've lost our sense of humor. Wasn't it just great when we could just laugh about the great old days of segregation and slavery rolleyes

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549001
07/16/09 11:33 AM
07/16/09 11:33 AM
California

California
Perhaps DiMaggio didn't mean it as it sounded. I see he has Pacino as his favorite actor in his profile. confused

Anyway, he's probably expressing what many (including some here on the BB) actually feel but won't say.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #549006
07/16/09 11:55 AM
07/16/09 11:55 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I know, Tis. DiMaggio seems like a nice enough fella. Sean Hannity just brings out the worst in me lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549009
07/16/09 11:58 AM
07/16/09 11:58 AM
California

California
I'm with you PB!!! smile

TIS

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #549021
07/16/09 01:40 PM
07/16/09 01:40 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
good thing i dont watch that crap like you PB and TIS lol

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: BAM_233] #549062
07/16/09 07:41 PM
07/16/09 07:41 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
PB, you have to keep in mind that talk show hosts are performers who play to their audiences. In that way they are not unlike Pacino and DeNiro who have played murderers in films to please their audiences.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: olivant] #549082
07/16/09 09:27 PM
07/16/09 09:27 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I don't think anyone has mentioned James Gandolfini.

Joe Pantalioni
Dean Martin - just love his demeanor.
Joe Pesci
DeNiro
Paul Sorvino
Dominick Chianese

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: MaryCas] #549084
07/16/09 09:40 PM
07/16/09 09:40 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
did anybody mention james caan?

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #549104
07/17/09 02:34 AM
07/17/09 02:34 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
I was wrong about the movie. It was "Rightous Kill" that I was thinking of. It was all bad. On the word thing if it offends you then dats your problema...........

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #549105
07/17/09 02:37 AM
07/17/09 02:37 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
[quote=olivant]Was Brando any part Italian? I've heard he was.

Yea, don't you just hate that? rolleyes I mean Hannity can't be wrong. Another topic I think.

TIS

Thank You!!!!!

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549109
07/17/09 03:07 AM
07/17/09 03:07 AM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline OP
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline OP
D
Capo
CA
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

And Pacino and DeNiro, who were both born here, aren't "true" Americans? Do you even realize how overtly racist the statement "true American" is? Or maybe it's just their dark complexions that make them less American, huh?

Sean Hannity is a self loathing troglodyte.

Yeah, we've lost our sense of humor. Wasn't it just great when we could just laugh about the great old days of segregation and slavery rolleyes

Obviously you misunderstood me. I think you're being a huge instigator here. I'm 100% Sicilian and Proud of my heritage. I didn't get Sicilian Pride on my back in old English lettering for no reason. A true American to me is somebody like Rudolph Giuliani (Italian American), Neil Cavuto (Italian American), John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Sean Hannity, Paul Sorvino (Italian American), Tony Sirico (Italian American), Charleston Heston and last but not least Ronald Reagan.

About DeNiro- did you know he's only got a tiny bit of Italian blood? He's mostly of French and Irish descent.

Last edited by DiMaggio68; 07/17/09 06:21 AM.
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #549154
07/17/09 08:12 AM
07/17/09 08:12 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
On the word thing if it offends you then dats your problema...........

No, it's not MY problem. It's against the rules of this board, which makes it YOUR problem.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #549162
07/17/09 10:19 AM
07/17/09 10:19 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
On the word thing if it offends you then dats your problema...........

Don't use any racial euphemisms here. You should know what most of them are. You may not, personally, be upset when someone uses a certain word or phrase, but others may, and in fairness to all those words should not be used.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: DiMaggio68] #549172
07/17/09 10:46 AM
07/17/09 10:46 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Obviously you misunderstood me. I think you're being a huge instigator here. I'm 100% Sicilian and Proud of my heritage. I didn't get Sicilian Pride on my back in old English lettering for no reason.

I'm not trying to instigate you. It's just that I hate stereotypes, especially the stereotype of the Italian-American cafone. It drives me up a wall. I grew up in the Belmont section of the Bronx, where the mob was prevelant and stereotypes were rampant. But my parents made damn sure that I didn't speak like the token Italian-American in a cheesy sitcom. I was born in 1959, so I kind of remember when Italians were treated as not fully "white." Kind of like the Latinos are today, which gives me a great deal of empathy for them.

I don't like to post much about my personal life, but I think this is relevant for you to understand where I'm coming from. So here's a quick story:

Like many Italians, my brother and I have what I guess you'd call a traditional "olive" complexion. But in the summer, my brother gets so dark he could easily pass for Middle Eastern. When we were kids, my aunt (who is a self loathing piece of shit) took us to her husband's country club up in Westchester. It was a gorgeous summer day and we were having a great time. Two Bronx kids up in "the country." Then my aunt's husband starts yelling at me to get my brother out of the sun; that people were going to think we belonged to the Mexican laborers who worked the grounds. It was mortifying for me (I was 12, my brother was 8 at the time). Now when my father found out, he beat my aunt's husband to a fucking pulp. Cops were involved, the whole nine yards. Now that sounds pretty cool, right? But it's not. Not when you're 12 years old and you just found out that you'll never be considered fully "white" in the eyes of the wasp masses. Not when your 8 year old brother thinks he's responsible for your father spending the weekend in the tombs. At that age, it's a fucking nightmare. So please, forgive me if I get a little testy on the subject of Italian stereotypes. Our saving grace is that today, Italian-Americans are the single most upwardly mobile group of all European immigrants. So with all due respect, tattoo that on your back.

I did know that about DeNiro. When his father died, I worked the funeral. I was surprised to see that most of his family had red hair and fair skin. It was then that I found out that he wasn't even close to being a full blooded Italian.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549175
07/17/09 10:55 AM
07/17/09 10:55 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
It's just that I hate stereotypes, especially the stereotype of the Italian-American cafone.

I'm glad I didn't call you a gavone for eating a quart of ices.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: SC] #549176
07/17/09 10:58 AM
07/17/09 10:58 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC
It's just that I hate stereotypes, especially the stereotype of the Italian-American cafone.

I'm glad I didn't call you a gavone for eating a quart of ices.

But that was a cafone thing for me to do. I ain't perfect. lol.

Nice to see you're still reading my posts.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549178
07/17/09 11:06 AM
07/17/09 11:06 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Neither am I. As you know I always talk about Spumoni Gardens... well, about 20 years ago I was there after working all night and was STARVED. I ordered 8 squares (slices) and the counter guy asked me if he should wrap them up. I told him, "No, I'll eat them now". Without pause he replied, "Marone, what a gavone". He said it laughingly and I had to laugh, too.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: SC] #549181
07/17/09 12:08 PM
07/17/09 12:08 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Somebody please translate these (presumably) Italian words here - cafone, gavone, marone

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: svsg] #549190
07/17/09 12:40 PM
07/17/09 12:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: svsg
Somebody please translate these (presumably) Italian words here - cafone, gavone, marone

Cafone is the only one that's actually a word in Italian. It's an uncouth person. A boor. A lout.

Gavone is a common misnomer for the word cafone.

Marone is kind of a dialect for Madonna, or Holy Mother of God; something to that effect. It's usually used to express shock, like, "Madonne, did you see the size of that fucking guy?"

That'll be ten dollars for the lesson in Italo-Bonics.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: SC] #549192
07/17/09 12:43 PM
07/17/09 12:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC

Neither am I. As you know I always talk about Spumoni Gardens... well, about 20 years ago I was there after working all night and was STARVED. I ordered 8 squares (slices) and the counter guy asked me if he should wrap them up. I told him, "No, I'll eat them now". Without pause he replied, "Marone, what a gavone". He said it laughingly and I had to laugh, too.

And isn't today the PERFECT day for a trip to L&B?

To me, being almost a tourist in Brooklyn (even though I worked there and have family there all my life), nothing says summertime like a road trip to Spumoni Gardens.

Oh, eight squares?

Madonne! (That's how to use the word Madonne! lol)

Last edited by pizzaboy; 07/17/09 12:44 PM.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549204
07/17/09 01:25 PM
07/17/09 01:25 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Cafone is the only one that's actually a word in Italian. It's an uncouth person. A boor. A lout.

Mario Puzo had the best definition of a cafone. There's this guy who shovels manure for a living. He's always dirty and smells like manure. His boss dies and the manure-shoveler gets the opportunity to buy the business. He becomes fairly well-off, buys up some more manure businesses, and becomes even wealthier. He buys a big house, gets nice clothes, becomes a big-shot. However, there's always this small piece of shit still stuck to his shoe.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: pizzaboy] #549237
07/17/09 04:54 PM
07/17/09 04:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: svsg

Gavone is a common misnomer for the word cafone.

Marone is kind of a dialect for Madonna, or Holy Mother of God; something to that effect.

Good lesson PB. But what you are typing as "Maron" is actually spelled and pronounced "Madonna" almost like it is in English.

As far as DeNiro goes, with what ethnicity does he identify himself (similar to Obama who is half-white, but apparentlyy idenitifies with black race)? Have any Board members read his biography?

Last edited by olivant; 07/17/09 04:59 PM.

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: olivant] #549238
07/17/09 04:57 PM
07/17/09 04:57 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
Good lesson PB. But what you are typing as "Maron" is actually spelled and pronounced "Madonne" almost like it is in English.

That was my doing. I spell them as I pronounce them... it's more of a New York Italian (including "gavone").

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Italian-American Actor? [Re: SC] #549279
07/17/09 11:48 PM
07/17/09 11:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Although he is commonly referred to as an Italian-American actor, De Niro is actually one-quarter Italian in ancestry. His father was half-Irish and half- Italian. His mother was of French, Dutch and German ancestry. He was, however, quite close to his Italian paternal grandfather, whom Robert visited frequently in Syracuse, NY when he was young. De Niro has stated that he identifies "more with [his] Italian side".

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull